Agree or disagree? Watch

Sticky Rice
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Teachers should be paid according to how much their students learn.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
ak47kalam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm, not entirely sure....
I mean, what if a teacher gets a job in an area full of chavs? Isn't that unfair on them?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disagree. How are we to (objectively) measure how much a student learns? There are also various factors that may complicate the issue, not least undiagnosed learning difficulties (where needs haven't been met and support put in place).
h82think
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disagree.
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disagree. Highly unpractical. And stupid.
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disagree.
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How could you monitor it?
Miss_Jeniffer
Report 10 years ago
totally disagree
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Disagree completely.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
Now that was just what I was going to say.

Ahh, us Mathematicians. :rolleyes:
Sticky Rice
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
Exams.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sticky Rice)
Exams.
Exams prove next to nothing.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exams.
But how? People react differently to exams. Some students, for whatever reason, may make a deliberate effort to underperform.

Also how to you address the issue of students that may have undiagnosed learning difficulties? As the support isn't there they may underperform in the exams, the teachers then miss out pay-wise (despite being competent teachers whose students have benefited greatly from their teaching).
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Yes.
Sticky Rice
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Exams prove next to nothing.
How do u prove that?
DoMakeSayThink
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How do u prove that?
It's widely accepted that exams aren't an ideal way of testing a student's knowledge or intelligence. The just happen to be the most practical.

In reality, I think performance related pay is a terrible concept and should never be put in to practice. It's very possible that a teacher will be unlucky enough to receive a class full of very slow learners, and as such have their pay lessened. Where is the logic in that?
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Exams.
Exams aren't a good indication of what a student has learnt; they only show that they are trained in exam technique and represent the student's performance on the day.
I realise that a main part of a teacher's job is to prepare students for exams but this should not be the force behind education. If this was implimented, there would no doubt be an increase in altering exam scripts (cheating) etc. and ironically students would learn less.
There are other problems with teachers being payed almost on commision such as the amount of students they teach. The good teachers would not even think about applying for a job in a failing school, because the wage would be much lower. At the moment, there is little difference in pay, meaning good teachers can increase the performance of worse schools without taking a pay-cut.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How do u prove that?
Because intelligence, or the standard a student has achieved, cannot be adaquately measured by a few timed exams.

As well as the problem of undiagnosed learning difficulties (which I feel is something that will get ignored and not addressed) there's also the difficulty of students being ill during the exams and underperforming.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How do u prove that?
Exams are simply one way of testing a child's 'knowledge'. It means nothing more than what a child can recall on that particular day. What if a child is ill, and can't concentrate? Or if they perform poorly in exams? Exams don't suit every child. How are you going to assess the learning of children with Special Educational Needs? Take a child with severe ADHD, who physically cannot sit for an hour and complete an exam - They most likely can't even sit for ten minutes and do an exam. What about children from other countries, whose English is poor? Or children who cannot write, for whatever reason?

You're also bringing in the fact that, if pay is linked to exams, you run the risk of teachers falsifying exam papers to get more money.

Equally, you cannot test the WHOLE of the national curriculum. You'd be there for the whole year just testing it. Equally, some curriculums (I'm thinking specifically of RE) vary from council to council.
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
disagree. most teenagers are absolute ****s to their teachers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (541)
37.73%
No - but I will (112)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (97)
6.76%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.7%

Watched Threads