Saving for a car. Watch

pitchy08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just how do people do it? I've been saving for ages and still seems not enough if I want to have a life and food. I'm not the kind of person to ride on mummy and daddy's back so maybe that's where I'm going wrong?
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yup. its mummy and daddys money that buys students there cars. FACT. anybody who comes on here and says they paid for this that and the other by working long hours and not spending anything can shut their pie hole cause i work extremely hard and theres no way i could afford to buy a car and live on my relatively good student wage.
princess_sue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have been working since I was 13, and I bought my first car at 17, a Golf GTI. Dad subbed me half of the money and I have paid him back over the last 3 years (well it only took me two years) so now the car is all mine. I live extremely comfortably at Uni through money I have also saved up and I get an allowance from my mum for food..which I think is totally reasonable and I was very shocked to hear most people don't get it. or help from their parents.
Jamin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's absolutely no way i'd be able to afford a car and if i had been saving since i started working at 13, i definitely wouldn't have spent it on something as pointless as a car.

The fact is, you don't really need one unless you are living at home while at uni (petrol would be a ***** if i did this )

I'd rather not spend my days skint because of petrol/tax/insurance.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My car (when I finally pass) will be paid for by my parents. I have a savings account where they've been putting money into for my future, and I'm allowed to use some of that for a car. Not much though, probably £1000 at most.

However, you can quite easily save for a car IMO. Even though I don't have a part time job atm, I did work as a xmas temp in M&S, and got around £250 for working just a few days over the holidays. If I can get that much just as a temp, then it should be fairly easy to get a grand together for a car if you have a job. Although that is providing you don't have that many other outgoings. I'm going to uni in September, so atm still get food etc from my parents.
If your a student or whatever, then yeah I can see how it may be hard.
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
4 years of saving, 1k a year, I now have my 4k car and it was worth saving for

And no, mummy and daddy did not pay for my car, it was done through hard work and not bingeing at university.
newman24x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
saving for a car != saving for a date != saving for books

hurm yeah...even the latter is difficult how about the former
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
yup. its mummy and daddys money that buys students there cars. FACT. anybody who comes on here and says they paid for this that and the other by working long hours and not spending anything can shut their pie hole cause i work extremely hard and theres no way i could afford to buy a car and live on my relatively good student wage.

It's wrong of you to assume you know what other people have and have not done.

I can categorically state that I have never had ANY financial assistance from my parents for ANY of the 7 cars I have owned in the last 6 years.

I bought my first car aged 16 after working and spending almost nothing for 2 years. I rebuilt the major components, taxed MOT'd it and insured it all off my own bat.

My second car had virtually everything rebuilt by myself including an engine swap to a 3.5 liter V8 + numerous other upgrades again - no financial assistance.

Some of us know how to balance our money better.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
I can categorically state that I have never had ANY financial assistance from my parents for ANY of the 7 cars I have owned in the last 6 years.
so they just paid for everything else, living costs, accomodation etc etc :rolleyes:

no part time job in the world can afford to pay for a car and living costs for a student. it cannot be done.

i make £280+ a week during the summer (15 weeks), £500+ at xmas and get £60 a week into my bank from parents and still i could not afford to buy a car and still pay for my upkeep.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LMAO you're obviously not very good with money then.

I'm currently completely rebuilding my car from a bare shell up. OK it isn't happening over night but it is happening slowly.
If you want something enough you make sacrifices in other areas to get it.

Just because you can't do something doesn't negate the possibility that others can.
I can't touch my nose with my tongue. I guess that must be impossible for everyone else in the world too! :rolleyes:
Oddball
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For the first time I think I agree with JC!

Lara C, that's a lot of income for someone this age. It can be done.
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pitchy08)
Just how do people do it? I've been saving for ages and still seems not enough if I want to have a life and food. I'm not the kind of person to ride on mummy and daddy's back so maybe that's where I'm going wrong?
my parents have many savings accounts for me, raid one of those or just get them to buy u a car.
best way to save is not to spend money on thing like food, ure parents get that for u!
if not try a monthly standing order on a savings account, u get upto 10% interest and u will save loads of money within a year! (u get penalties for withdrawal).
SuicidalLemming
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I earnt £900 per month over the summer, and £350 a month during term time.
I've just bought my first car.
It was only £800, but the insurance was £600 on top.
I paid for all of it myself.
It is possible.
I have also paid for all my driving lessons etc...
bmh16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Steeps)
4 years of saving, 1k a year, I now have my 4k car and it was worth saving for

And no, mummy and daddy did not pay for my car, it was done through hard work and not bingeing at university.
I think that is key.
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bmh16)
I think that is key.
car or fun?, thats the question.
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cantthinkofaname)
car or fun?, thats the question.
You can have fun without spending £100 a week going out 4 nights a week. Have nights in or just have 2-3 drinks. Student loan covered rent and bills, overdraft covered food and entertainment which was then all paid off in the summer plus more. If you really want a car you'll accept that sacrifices have to be made to get it when your young. I have some friends who go abroad 3-4 times a year, others who go to town 3-4 times a week, some with expensive hobbies etc. All that matters to me is I've done what I wanted to do with what I had and what was available to me, my car gives me the freedom to go where I want and do what I want but my financial responsibilities are with the car first, then nights out/holidays second.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oddball)
For the first time I think I agree with JC!

Lara C, that's a lot of income for someone this age. It can be done.

I'm scared too.
Oddball
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
I'm scared too.
Hehe, there had to be something we agreed on, one day.

It's OK, I can go back to disagreeing now :P
Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
I am sure if someone started work at 16, and saved for two years while studying at college/sixth form and living with parents (obviously) they will have enough for a car. And they are still students...
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Start a paperround at 13, by the time you are 17 you should have 4k
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise