Watch
Vanessa Rose 01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!!!!
I hope you're having a good day 😍

I really, really want to find novels that have good vocabulary and are well written.
I'm not into stories with dark/criminal/horror themes, I generally prefer happy/romantic/funny novels but you can recommend any, ANY book that you think is worthwhile (specifically in vocabulary and writing) ... and I'd really appreciate it 💚

Thank you so much in advance
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
  • Paula by Isabel Allende
  • Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind
  • The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
  • The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko Ogawa
  • If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

If you like happy/romance/funny books, then hands down Cecelia Ahern's books are for you. She's an exceptional author with exceptional novels. :rambo: You may as well read every single one of her novels! The one I've recommended is my favourite one of hers (thus far). I also realise that you said you weren't into dark books but Perfume is a masterpiece that should never be overlooked.
Vanessa Rose 01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
  • Paula by Isabel Allende
  • Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind
  • The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
  • The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko Ogawa
  • If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

If you like happy/romance/funny books, then hands down Cecelia Ahern's books are for you. She's an exceptional author with exceptional novels. :rambo: You may as well read every single one of her novels! The one I've recommended is my favourite one of hers (thus far). I also realise that you said you weren't into dark books but Perfume is a masterpiece that should never be overlooked.
😍😍😍💚
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vanessa Rose 01)
Hi!!!!
I hope you're having a good day 😍

I really, really want to find novels that have good vocabulary and are well written.
I'm not into stories with dark/criminal/horror themes, I generally prefer happy/romantic/funny novels but you can recommend any, ANY book that you think is worthwhile (specifically in vocabulary and writing) ... and I'd really appreciate it 💚

Thank you so much in advance
In this case, I recommend to read Oscar Wilde's one written novel, namely The Picture of Dorian Gray! Very fine vocabulary and very well written as you wished! it is worth to read, if you didn't so far.
Vanessa Rose 01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
In this case, I recommend to read Oscar Wilde's one written novel, namely The Picture of Dorian Gray! Very fine vocabulary and very well written as you wished! it is worth to read, if you didn't so far.
No I haven't read it yet. Thank youuu 😊💚
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vanessa Rose 01)
No I haven't read it yet. Thank youuu 😊💚
You are welcome. Can I even recommend you to read books which are not originally written in English, but translated?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are welcome. Can I even recommend you to read books which are not originally written in English, but translated?
All but 1 of my recommended books were originally written in a foreign language, so I assume it'd be fine. :rambo:

As an aside, although I'm aware that it's not a novel, Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest is one of my favourite plays of all time. Even now when I read it, I can't help but burst out in laughter.
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Chronicles of Narnia - SERIOUSLY recommend! It’s great
Guns_and_Ships
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please recommend them to me!!! Some of the best books I've ever read have been translations... I only wish I could read them in their original language!
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
All but 1 of my recommended books were originally written in a foreign language, so I assume it'd be fine. :rambo:

As an aside, although I'm aware that it's not a novel, Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest is one of my favourite plays of all time. Even now when I read it, I can't help but burst out in laughter.
I know what you are talking about, I have read it in original language and it is funny written, especially the ambiguity of earnest is hilarious.

(Original post by Guns_and_Ships)
Please recommend them to me!!! Some of the best books I've ever read have been translations... I only wish I could read them in their original language!
If you like ciphers combined with puzzling metaphors, read so many works about Kafka as you can. Those are really a tough written.
Guns_and_Ships
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know what you are talking about, I have read it in original language and it is funny written, especially the ambiguity of earnest is hilarious.

If you like ciphers combined with puzzling metaphors, read so many works about Kafka as you can. Those are really a tough written.
Thank you! I keep hearing references to his books and I've never actually read any... hoping to get a Kindle for my 18th though so I'll definitely download a few!
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (and the other ones in that series too). They're pretty damn funny
Vanessa Rose 01
Rep:
?
Oh yes please!
I think those kind can be brilliant in their own way because they offer perspectives and outlooks which may have never occurred to you before, being that they are different cultures and all 😍
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any of the works of Pushkin, Gogol, Doshoyevsky, Lermontov, Checkov and Tolstoy ... (I might be on a bit of a Russian literature binge at the moment )
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Young women💕💕😭 used to read it as a kid it’s soooo good and sweet. Especially for winter times
Vanessa Rose 01
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Young women💕💕😭 used to read it as a kid it’s soooo good and sweet. Especially for winter times
Yes I like that book too.
Vanessa Rose 01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Any of the works of Pushkin, Gogol, Doshoyevsky, Lermontov, Checkov and Tolstoy ... (I might be on a bit of a Russian literature binge at the moment )
Lol
I love anything Russian, so thank you 😍
username4977980
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The knife of never letting go trilogy by Patrick Ness. Takes a bit of getting into but it's a good trilogy.

Or His Dark materials by Philip Pullman. If you want romance that does have a strong love story in it but it's not the main theme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads