Staffblog Watch

wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I know that I am not very organised and regular in posting to my blog but if there is a need for the staff blog link at the bottom of the page, surely it could me update more often
SmilerNuts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Originally they didn't advertise it at all and people complained about that.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's a staff blog??
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The reason that there was a request for a staff blog was that the admins were up to that point not giving any proper updates in the dev thread and there was never any info on what the plans were for the site, which bugs had been solved, what they needed feedback on etc. It was hoped that by setting up a blog, the staff would be encouraged to let the users know what was going on, and when they did, what they said wouldn't be lost in the middle of the dev thread. Sadly, the content on the blog as of yet hasn't really had a huge amount to do with TSR, it's been updated relatively infrequently, so is proving to be not as useful as was first thought.

MB
fleur de lis
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by musicbloke)
The reason that there was a request for a staff blog was that the admins were up to that point not giving any proper updates in the dev thread and there was never any info on what the plans were for the site, which bugs had been solved, what they needed feedback on etc. It was hoped that by setting up a blog, the staff would be encouraged to let the users know what was going on, and when they did, what they said wouldn't be lost in the middle of the dev thread. Sadly, the content on the blog as of yet hasn't really had a huge amount to do with TSR, it's been updated relatively infrequently, so is proving to be not as useful as was first thought.

MB
To be fair, I'm not sure that's what the point of it was. Part of the point, perhaps, but not the whole point (as far as I was aware, anyway). I thought it was also meant to be for Acumen to let us know how they spend their time working for TSR and what other projects they work on behind the scenes, which includes but is not limited to the dev list. I didn't think the blog was meant to be for giving info about what bugs had been solved
wizard710
Rep:
?
Where is the dev list?, Is it available for everyone to look at?
fleur de lis
Report 10 years ago
It will be soon.
wizard710
Rep:
?
(Original post by fleur de lis)
It will be soon.
Ah right ok,
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be fair, I'm not sure that's what the point of it was. Part of the point, perhaps, but not the whole point (as far as I was aware, anyway). I thought it was also meant to be for Acumen to let us know how they spend their time working for TSR and what other projects they work on behind the scenes, which includes but is not limited to the dev list. I didn't think the blog was meant to be for giving info about what bugs had been solved
I can second MB's understanding that this is what the blog was to be - a page filled with a list of things to do, things they were working on, what was being done that week, eta of features etc etc. It's certainly what I expected and also what I detailed to J in conversations.
I think the blog as it stands is not terribly interesting.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well as far as I know it came out of the dev thread and the general moaning about not being kept in the loop about these things. I don't know what the staff think it's for, but chatting about the London Eye, or sending a soft-toy around England wasn't what was asked for in the dev thread at least. Maybe there was discussion of the function of the staff blog elsewhere, but it certainly wasn't in this subforum.

MB
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In fact you agreed that was what it was for in this thread :confused:

Edit: and in fact if what J said about "at least weekly updates" here, was correct, then I'd assume bug fixes etc would be part of it.

MB
fleur de lis
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by musicbloke)
In fact you agreed that was what it was for in this thread :confused:

Edit: and in fact if what J said about "at least weekly updates" here, was correct, then I'd assume bug fixes etc would be part of it.

MB
As I said, that was part of it, I thought, but not the whole aim of it.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, I'm not sure what use any other stuff would be to the users but nevermind. Just for reference for the rest of this thread, here's a copy of the posts that detail what the blog was to be for from the dev thread:

(Original post by J)
As this is the developing TSR thread it seems the appropriate place to give you a heads up that in the next week we'll be launching a communications blog. This will be updated primarily by me with RK and will have at least weekly updates.

We'll be letting you know what's going on behind the scenes at Acumen HQ so those that have an interest can see that we don't sit on our hands all day. It will focus on TSR development progress letting you know what's in the pipeline and what ideas we are toying with, what related websites and issues are exciting us (not that sort of website). We'll be linking to the blog from the footer of pages and in the About section.

Comments will be enabled naturally so you can respond to the blog posts but this isn't going to be a replacement for the About forum which will continue to be the place to flag site problems and ask questions...

(Original post by PQ)
oh for heavens sake - you have a FORUM why post up a blog?

All that'll happen is that people will post abusive comments anonymously and end up getting the comments switched off and the blog will no longer be communicating *with* us but *at* us.

(just post a bloomin thread, please...you don't NEED to jump on another bandwagon)
I believe there is room for both, as I said its not going to be a replacement for the About forum. Because we maintain a blog its not going to mean Admins post less in here. I know you feel its still woefully little anyway but we generally respond to what users post one way or another, either by post, or a request goes onto the list of stuff to get fixed with our developers. Thats a bit thats been lacking...letting you know whats on that list and another thing thats been lacking is just letting you know what we do and what is going on. The blog format will work well for both those things, maybe with some sort of separate realtime dev list feed ultimately.

This is the place to flag stuff and for us to ask 'what do you mean' and for you to say 'look you moron its buggered LOOK' and to then post a screen shot. Or for someone to say 'wouldn't it be nice if TSR was more like a social networking site (joke) and for users to discuss it and us to chip in.

If the comments fields are getting spammed/abused up we could introduce premoderated comments which wouldn't be ideal but better than not having two way dialogue in that space at all as you say.

I think your point is a good one that a blog isn't the solution for all communication issues, it lends itself to a particular type of communication as does a forum.

- the blog will do the 'letting you know what we do and what is going on' bit well
- We'll work on the best presentation for a development list if thats what you'd like to see. And you are right it probably sits here best, updated frequently, with a link from the blog until we can come up with something more automated.
- And discussion about development will continue in the About forum.
MB
fleur de lis
Report 10 years ago
We'll be letting you know what's going on behind the scenes at Acumen HQ so those that have an interest can see that we don't sit on our hands all day. It will focus on TSR development progress letting you know what's in the pipeline and what ideas we are toying with, what related websites and issues are exciting us (not that sort of website). We'll be linking to the blog from the footer of pages and in the About section.
This is the bit that I was referring to/using as a description for what it's for, but I don't know if I have just intepreted it differently to others :/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wizard710)
I know that I am not very organised and regular in posting to my blog but if there is a need for the staff blog link at the bottom of the page, surely it could me update more often
:rofl:

and as if by magic it gets 2 updates in a day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads