When Tony Blair was Prime Minister? Watch

AnxiousAtypical
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I was too young and naive to remember Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister but was he really that bad as he portrayed himself to be?
GCSE_beginner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was born during the end of his time as PM (2006).
I mean if you consider things like the Iraq war then some people would have a negative opinion about him but tbh, I don't know much
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AnxiousAtypical)
I was too young and naive to remember Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister but was he really that bad as he portrayed himself to be?
Not really and outside of the political world he's still regarded well by the average joe.

The political left hate him because he believed that to win the Thatcherite consensus had to be accepted and indeed Network Rail aside they slowly privatised. We then saw the Iraq war which the left dont like either.

The political right dislike him today because he was a europhile and started us down the road of progressive PC militantism. There is more of a respect from him though.

His approach to european intergration, immigration and progressive thought has set the groundwork for the rise of social conservatism today so there are unintended consequences but on the whole i rank him highly.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tony Blair was very good at winning elections, is in the top ten longest serving PMs and one of the most memorable leaders the Labour Party ever had.
He was a driving force to steer British politics & the botched management of the UK economy onto a new course.
His government achieved both.

His New Labour legacy includes: operational independence to the Bank of England in setting monetary policy (base interest rates), a housing boom in which property prices soared, reducing the influence of trade union leaders upon Labour Party policy and bringing an end to centuries of sectarian strife and decades of brutal terrorist criminality that brought utter chaos to the streets of Northern Ireland on a daily basis.
Yet Tony Blair is generally defined by one catastrophic decision: the Iraq War.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well :tsr2: was established when he was PM, make of that what you will.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Diana, Princess of Wales died after his watch!
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He inherited a fortune for the nation once we finally finished paying back the US for their support in WW2. Yes... they charged us for it until 1996. The Marshall plan... look it up! He then blew said fortune on the gulf war... a 4 week campaign as promised by Bush. Love Labour but they are spectacularly crap with money.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
he started three wars and wasted money on the pfi thing he also started mass immigration
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was a kid when he first came into power, but most of my teenage years were his 2nd/3rd terms.
Not going to comment on what he did - other posters already have.

But why is he so hated now? Because the left eats its own in a way that the right doesn't.

The modern left is an ideologically pure thing, and inevitably past leaders and people who governed in different times, who compromised, who worked under different morals, don't meet, their tests of purity and they turn on them. The right doesn't, its not ideologically pure (except for the religious right) and due to its core nature of traditioanlism and respect for the past, the right tends to venerate its leaders.

So you get the comparison between Blair and Thatcher. Our two most succesfull modern priministers.

Both are disliked by the other side, obviously.. But the right will not go against thatcher, they won't turn on her and they understand how much keeping her legacy as a success means to them. She is still held by the right as an Icon of 20th century politics, despite all the bad things she may have done (along with the good). Blair on the otherhand, has been torn down by the left for every mistake he made, and is judged completly by todays standards.. they forget all the good and progressive things he did, and have ruined his and their, legacy.

The problem for the left is that its not a winning stratagy to tear down your past successes. Its hard to get re-elected if you admit your past leader/goverment was a disaster. Why should people vote for you, if you think that your last succesful leader was awful and horrible? You undermine your own legacy and hurt yourself in the present, just because your to ideologically pure to accept that 1997 and even the early 2000s were a different time, and Blair did what he needed to do to win and to stop another Tory goverment.

If Labour had any sense of how to win elections, he would be held up as a hero of the party, and still be talked about as fondly as thatcher is to the tories.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not sure he ever portrayed himself as bad but it rather depends on your political persuasion and general outlook on life.
In general his domestic policies werent too bad, disregarding the **** up that was PFI. His foreign policy was an egregious act of slavishly bending the knee to Bush and his neocon cronies though.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
he started three wars and wasted money on the pfi thing he also started mass immigration
Prsom... Blair and Bush... was a bit like taking your building society manager out for a slap up meal to celebrate after you've finished paying off the mortgage. Only problem was... the meal cost as much as the house did!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, he wasn't bad at all. In the same way that Cameron is now only remembered for foolishly calling a referendum on the EU, Blair still is remembered primarily for the dodgy dossier and all that followed. History will be kinder and more nuanced.

Time is a great healer though.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Started is unfair.

'Joined in on' is more accurate.

And retaliation in Sierra Leone was perfectly legitimate and often forgotton.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Not really and outside of the political world he's still regarded well by the average joe.

The political left hate him because he believed that to win the Thatcherite consensus had to be accepted and indeed Network Rail aside they slowly privatised. We then saw the Iraq war which the left dont like either.

The political right dislike him today because he was a europhile and started us down the road of progressive PC militantism. There is more of a respect from him though.

His approach to european intergration, immigration and progressive thought has set the groundwork for the rise of social conservatism today so there are unintended consequences but on the whole i rank him highly.
In my opinion John Smith would have made a better PM.
Sadly of course that should have but couldn't happen.
Last edited by ColinDent; 2 weeks ago
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Started is unfair.

'Joined in on' is more accurate.

And retaliation in Sierra Leone was perfectly legitimate and often forgotton.
I meant Kosovo I didn't know he was involved in SL lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%