admissions statistics... Watch

rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
is it possible to access data that will tell you up front the amount of people that applied and were given a place for x subject at y college? i know it's possible for cambridge, but i don't want to apply there...

i'm not particularly trying to play the numbers game, it's just that i'm completely torn between exeter, hertford and st anne's (this is for english by the way), and i'm running out of criteria to make a final decision on. thanks.

oh and i did try a search for this but all i could find was data showing percentages of people applying and being given a place to each college overall, not for particular subjects.
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry but that info is no longer included in the prospectus, just the success rate across the subject.
rainbow drops
Rep:
?
ahh, that's a bit annoying. fair enough though, i suppose it helps to prevent people who do play the numbers game to gain a better chance.

thank you anyway
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They used to include it. I remember that the prospectus from 2005 had the triannual average of the offer to application ratio, but some were really heavily oversubscribed consistently, such as Balliol., and Magdalen, if I remember correctly.

I do wish they would put that information back up, not because of the whole numbers game, but because you can't choose where you are pooled to. If I have a certain criteria for a college, like being able to live on site for the duration of my course, I might have to choose between St. Anne's and Worcester, for example. If one college is consistently oversubscribed, I would probably have a good chance of being pooled to a college like Mansfield, for example, that would make me live out, or most of the other colleges which have a good bit of their accommodation at an external location.
rainbow drops
Rep:
?
(Original post by SolInvictus)
They used to include it. I remember that the prospectus from 2005 had the triannual average of the offer to application ratio, but some were really heavily oversubscribed consistently, such as Balliol., and Magdalen, if I remember correctly.

I do wish they would put that information back up, not because of the whole numbers game, but because you can't choose where you are pooled to. If I have a certain criteria for a college, like being able to live on site for the duration of my course, I might have to choose between St. Anne's and Worcester, for example. If one college is consistently oversubscribed, I would probably have a good chance of being pooled to a college like Mansfield, for example, that would make me live out, or most of the other colleges which have a good bit of their accommodation at an external location.
just to bump this, is there any way that i could get hold of that 2005 prospectus?
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rainbow drops)
just to bump this, is there any way that i could get hold of that 2005 prospectus?
doubt it, but there wouldn't be much point anyway. the stats change a lot from year to year let alone over 3 years
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
doubt it, but there wouldn't be much point anyway. the stats change a lot from year to year let alone over 3 years
True, but some colleges are going to be consistently oversubscribed, and some consistenly undersubscribed. Remember that St Hilda's got the better part of its applicants through pooling and open applications back when only women could apply, and it still get a significant proportion of open applicants and pooled candidates, while it would not surprise me if New College and Balliol consistetnly get more than ten candidates per place for courses such as PPE.
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SolInvictus)
True, but some colleges are going to be consistently oversubscribed, and some consistenly undersubscribed. Remember that St Hilda's got the better part of its applicants through pooling and open applications back when only women could apply, and it still get a significant proportion of open applicants and pooled candidates, while it would not surprise me if New College and Balliol consistetnly get more than ten candidates per place for courses such as PPE.

More likely Trinity and Magdalen, tbh. Really, aside from the old, rich, central colleges - Johns, Trinity, Magdalen, Balliol, Univ et al - being over-subscribed for most things, you'd simply see application numbers cycling up and down for other colleges, as applicants (or pushy parents/school advisers) played the numbers game, too little effect.
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
balliol always get lots for PPE in particularly though, C.
CuriousPeach
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rainbow drops)
I don't know if it's online anywhere, but I randomly still have a hard copy of that prospectus (if you mean the 04-05 one) from when I applied, but the stats table is of ratios averaged over 2000-2002, so it's really really not recent. As a rough guide, it says pretty much what you might guess anyway, Magdalen is way oversubscribed for English (7.0), Hilda's much less so (1.4, though it probably won't be as low as that now it's mixed) and all the others fall somewhere in the middle, although the next highest after Magdalen is Hertford (5.2) and the next lowest after Hilda's is Pembroke (2.0). In general, I don't think it actually makes much difference, (possibly aside from avoiding Magdalen if you just want to feel better about your chances), just apply to where you like. Even if you apply to a less popular college you'll still be up against the overflow from the others. PM me if you want the actual stats from all the colleges for English, it would take up way too much space here! But I wouldn't set too much stock in them anyway.
antipotato
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I asked in the Admissions office on LCS a while back if these stats were still in the prospectus, they said they could print them off if i really wanted or something like that but I couldn't be arsed. You could try emailing them and asking for the stats... I found they were more interesting than helpful. I only looked at them after I chose a college, and I wasn't going to change my mind by then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.67%
No - but I will (106)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.68%

Watched Threads