The Student Room Group

How to shut up more?

I have the habit of talking a lot. I try to minimize it but I can't. I get carried away and end up talking. Sometimes I do manage to talk less, but then I feel left out sometimes. I want to talk, but not a lot, is there any help for me?
Imo, there’s nothing wrong with being too talkative as long as you’re not talking about some annoying crap.
Original post by Anonymous
I have the habit of talking a lot. I try to minimize it but I can't. I get carried away and end up talking. Sometimes I do manage to talk less, but then I feel left out sometimes. I want to talk, but not a lot, is there any help for me?

Honestly, I wish i was like this :frown: . Social anxiety is a b*tch
Just don't contribute to a conversation unless what you say has relevance, if it does then say it in a summarised sentence or two.
Reply 4
Original post by OR321
Imo, there’s nothing wrong with being too talkative as long as you’re not talking about some annoying crap.

The thing is I would talk a lot that I wouldn't know if I'm saying something annoying. I just can't control my talk sometimes
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is I would talk a lot that I wouldn't know if I'm saying something annoying. I just can't control my talk sometimes

Tbhhh, I love friends like that 😂 so I can’t give you advice but good luck in trying I guess. I’m not too talkative but I do say whatever the ****s on my mind so 🤞
Reply 6
Original post by cheerIeader
Just don't contribute to a conversation unless what you say has relevance, if it does then say it in a summarised sentence or two.

How can I do this? Because when I'm quiet and less talkative people tend to tell me to socialize more. I just want to talk, but not be too talkative.
Be yourself, but always take in consideration the environment around you, the people you are with, and the situation you are in. Consider that not everyone may always want to hear what you have to say.

How about picking and choosing what you answer - you don't need to be silent, people will appreciate your company and your input in conversations, but you don't need to dominate, so just answer sometimes, and sometimes focus more on listening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending