chloboooxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey my teacher set this elizabeth 20 marker:'Papacy was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition from 1559-88’
and im arguing that internal religious divisions and the religious settlement were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition

would really appreciate if someone was able to give feedback on it, anyting i can improve on thank u x

It could also be argued religious divisions was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition. When
Elizabeth acceded to the throne, she inherited a legacy of religious confusion. Ever since Henry VII split with Rome in 1533, England’s religious stability was challenged. Since the 1530s, there had been constant religious changes in
England. For example, Edward VI tried to make England Protestant whereas Mary I tried to revert England back to a Catholic country. This led too deep divisions amongst social classes which then led to violent uprisings against the monarch.
When Elizabeth took the throne, the Crown was £300,000 in debt. The financial weakness meant any potential uprising had a good chance of success because she would not have the money to put it down. The level of threat that Elizabeth faced was reflected in her decision to introduce the Religious Settlement of 1559 which aimed to please both Protestants and Catholics. She hoped to undermine the Catholic threat by allowing churches to be decorated and not pursuing Catholics who took mass secretly at home. As a Protestant, Elizabeth’s significant decision to create the Religious Settlement shows just how much of a threat she saw a potential uprising and confirms the fact that internal religious divisions were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition.
Shakthiraja72
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloboooxx)
hey my teacher set this elizabeth 20 marker:'Papacy was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition from 1559-88’
and im arguing that internal religious divisions and the religious settlement were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition

would really appreciate if someone was able to give feedback on it, anyting i can improve on thank u x

It could also be argued religious divisions was the main reason that there was an increase in Catholic opposition. When
Elizabeth acceded to the throne, she inherited a legacy of religious confusion. Ever since Henry VII split with Rome in 1533, England’s religious stability was challenged. Since the 1530s, there had been constant religious changes in
England. For example, Edward VI tried to make England Protestant whereas Mary I tried to revert England back to a Catholic country. This led too deep divisions amongst social classes which then led to violent uprisings against the monarch.
When Elizabeth took the throne, the Crown was £300,000 in debt. The financial weakness meant any potential uprising had a good chance of success because she would not have the money to put it down. The level of threat that Elizabeth faced was reflected in her decision to introduce the Religious Settlement of 1559 which aimed to please both Protestants and Catholics. She hoped to undermine the Catholic threat by allowing churches to be decorated and not pursuing Catholics who took mass secretly at home. As a Protestant, Elizabeth’s significant decision to create the Religious Settlement shows just how much of a threat she saw a potential uprising and confirms the fact that internal religious divisions were the main reason for an increase in Catholic opposition.
i had the exact question for my Mocks this week and i mentioned about how elizabeth had raising opposition through Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth's excommunication
Shakthiraja72
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also just to infer more:
excommunication- increased catholic opposition through the fact that she was banned from attending church, meaning she was a bad protestant as well as a non catholic
Mary, Queen of Scots- she was a catholic and the cousin of Elizabeth I, and at that time, England was a Catholic country, meaning they would prefer a catholic reign. Elizabeth was a protestant. Christians believed that Mary was the rightful heir to the throne so therefore aopposed Elizabeth.

hope it helps x
chloboooxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Shakthiraja72)
also just to infer more:
excommunication- increased catholic opposition through the fact that she was banned from attending church, meaning she was a bad protestant as well as a non catholic
Mary, Queen of Scots- she was a catholic and the cousin of Elizabeth I, and at that time, England was a Catholic country, meaning they would prefer a catholic reign. Elizabeth was a protestant. Christians believed that Mary was the rightful heir to the throne so therefore aopposed Elizabeth.

hope it helps x
thank you so much, that was really helpful. hope your mocks went well. what other history modules do you do?
Shakthiraja72
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloboooxx)
thank you so much, that was really helpful. hope your mocks went well. what other history modules do you do?
The modules of im doing are:
Elizabethan England
Weimar and the Nazi Germany
American West
Shakthiraja72
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yh loll
found the history mocks much better than geography
thanks for asking x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (122)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (368)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (271)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (350)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (113)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (150)
6.04%
Loneliness (213)
8.58%
Financial worries (92)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.27%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (131)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (215)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (232)
9.35%

Watched Threads