Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Gren1TI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Interesting question. Remember for most courses, they only give firsts to like 12% of the graduates. So you really have to be in that best top percentage of people passing out.
inkblot
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That might work for GCSEs but a degree is a whole different toaster of birds.
aster100
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gangsta316)
I don't get it. In Biology couldn't you just learn the textbook and get near full marks?
Why do you think.

In uni you can't just "learn the textbook". In pretty much all subjects I can think of, you need to read outside of the syllabus to help you in examinations.
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firsts are a way of demonstrating which are the best candidates from the course. If everyone got a first from just reading the text book then surely there would just be no point to them?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by aster100)
In uni you can't just "learn the textbook". In pretty much all subjects I can think of, you need to read outside of the syllabus to help you in examinations.
True. One has to possess a wide breadth of knowledge to achieve anything above 68%.
layercake
Report 10 years ago
so what do you actually need to do to get a first?

i've heard people say its down to innate ability?
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's probably a mixture of raw ability and how much you've learnt. How much you've learnt for the knowledge part, innate ability for understanding and being able to do non-routine 'problems'. The balance of each will depend on the subject e.g. I'd say maths was probably more about ability than how much you've read from a textbook.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If one is intelligent and works very hard, is getting a first a reasonable aim? As I am determined to gain one in my Classics degree (as I would love to do graduate work at a top university, maybe even Oxford).
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gangsta316)
I don't get it. In Biology couldn't you just learn the textbook and get near full marks?
You would have to read too many textbooks.
Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So for a first in econ, how much extra work do you have to do?
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what are the chances of geting the top marks if you treat the course like a full time job (in uni from 9-5 mon - fri) thats what i did with my BTEC
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2026)
True. One has to possess a wide breadth of knowledge to achieve anything above 68%.
Not true.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
Not true.
Well, I suppose it differs depending on your university to a certain extent as well.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
Not true.
Well it seems to be the case at the LSE.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
what are the chances of geting the top marks if you treat the course like a full time job (in uni from 9-5 mon - fri) thats what i did with my BTEC
It's more like 8am-10pm at times. And that doesn't mean you'll get the top marks.
yosrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In uni everyone is smarter than you, that's why it's hard to get a first. And biology is a little more than just reading books...they WILL ask you unfamiliar questions where you have to use your own judgement.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I imagine in the arts subjects it's more difficult to achieve a first because they can't really be marked objectively.
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Luize)
It's more like 8am-10pm at times. And that doesn't mean you'll get the top marks.
:eek:

lol, im confident that even sooo i have the ability to get the top marks, i will just have to try harder than some others as i lack a little in raw abaility, never mind, i think if you want something enough you will do your upmost to get it
yosrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
:eek:

lol, im confident that even sooo i have the ability to get the top marks, i will just have to try harder than some others as i lack a little in raw abaility, never mind, i think if you want something enough you will do your upmost to get it
Everyone is in the running of getting a first, that's what makes it hard, you can't be too confident in getting a first - if you are you're probably far too smart or just doing an easy course:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.7%
No - but I will (105)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise