major? Watch

i_like_chocolate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey well i finished grade 11, and now i'm going to grade 12. i haven't even decided until now what i'd like to major in. all i know is that i want to go to some college in the U.S. am i allowed to try out majors in the first year of college?or does it vary with different universities?
also, which universities should i apply to if i haven't decided my major yet?i would ask all these questions from a guidance counselor but my school doesen't have one
i'm so confused. please help me. thanks.
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure there are colleges that accept you with undecided majors, but you'd be better emailing the colleges to ask.

I only can advise that much because I watch Greek on BBC3 where there are people with undecided majors. Idk what college that is though, or if it's real :P
natasha02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
some ppl i know have just said that they are decided just to get in...like they chose somethign like history or english...and once they entered and figured out wat they wanted they changed
the US system is pretty flexible..
but you might want to do a little more reserach in the uni ur interested
forpolarbears
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
MOST majors don't require you to know once you enter, but there are some that are more limited and some universities make it more difficult to change. It really depends on the university.
FutureEconomist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All the universities I had applied to had a field in the application form for 'Likely Major'. Supposedly, this had no influence upon your application, and there was also an option to select 'Undecided'.

At UChicago at least, all First Year students are under the banner of 'Common Year' anyway, with no major specified, even if one was indicated on your application.
Caspar David Friedrich
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're allowed to pretty much do whatever you want until you formally declare your major, and even then you can change with ease. I changed twice, and most places work that way as well. My only other thought is that some larger universities have different colleges (arts, engineering, sciences, etc.) which you are a part of and switching between different ones in tandem with a major change (like from English to Chemistry) might be difficult, but I really don't know how that works.
j.caesar
Report 10 years ago
The exception would be for engineering at certain schools: SEAS @ Columbia, Duke, etc. and Business/engineering/nursing at Penn. They require you to specify the major, and the classes are filled independently of the CAS (College of Arts and Sciences) classes.
Sickminded
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
most universities dont mandate you choose a major right away, alot of people declare, "undecided" but by the end of the sophmore year or completion of a certain amount of units they must decide....
I was a transfer student from a junior college so I had to declare immediately...
minor in something too if you can
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (215)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
6.93%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.57%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.26%

Watched Threads