The Student Room Group

is my girlfriend manipulative?

Ok so my new girlfriend is really nice, fun outgoing yada yada

At parties before I knew her she always seems insanely happy, getting off with boys and enjoying herself.

Since I've got with her though and I'm on her private story I see she does a lot of crying and moaning. She goes to a top private school and has top grades, yet writes me paragraphs how she is such a failure and doesn't do well. She says she's fat and she's skinny, says she has an eating disorder etc.

She seems like a confident go getter then to me she'll tell me how awful her parents are to her and sometimes even her friends. I don't know what to make of the contrasts, is she depressed or is she happy and social and just likes attention and sympathy from me and others?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
how she is such a failure and doesn't do well. She says she's fat and she's skinny, says she has an eating disorder

Some people are very good at putting on a show, by repressing how they really feel.

If she is opening up to her, I'd go with it and help her, rather than make assumptions about her being manipulative.

For a while, at least.

At parties before I knew her she always seems insanely happy, getting off with boys and enjoying herself.

Since I've got with her though and I'm on her private story I see she does a lot of crying and moaning. She goes to a top private school and has top grades, yet writes me paragraphs how she is such a failure and doesn't do well. She says she's fat and she's skinny, says she has an eating disorder etc.

She seems like a confident go getter then to me she'll tell me how awful her parents are to her and sometimes even her friends. I don't know what to make of the contrasts, is she depressed or is she happy and social and just likes attention and sympathy from me and others?

sometimes depressed people act really happy on the outside that’s why it’s so dangerous because they don’t want people to know especially not people they dont know well - she may just have started opening up to you because your closer now - the wanting attention could be part of that people only seek attention because they arnt happy with something in themselves - if your dating maybe talk to her about it - why she acts so happy on the outside and then is constantly complaing to you - a relationship can only work if your open - a lot of things over confidence is just a mask very few people are 100% confident all the time and so people who seem like they are on the outside often arn’t.

I dont think there is a reason why she would do that to you. I think she trusts you enough to open up to you. I think you should engage with her and be there for her. If it gets too much, then maybe have the conversation.
Sounds like you only saw the side of her she wants people to see. Now you're closer she's willing to show you the things that scare her or make her insecure.
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
Some people are very good at putting on a show, by repressing how they really feel.

If she is opening up to her, I'd go with it and help her, rather than make assumptions about her being manipulative.

For a while, at least.

Yeah I really do, twice I've had to leave my house while I'm studying because she's fled her house in tears after an argument with her parents then I see her at a friends house snapping herself laughing and partying, it's just confusing sometimes but I listen to her every single day whether its good or bad things she has to tell me. Yeah I'll just keep an eye.
Reply 6
sometimes depressed people act really happy on the outside that’s why it’s so dangerous because they don’t want people to know especially not people they dont know well - she may just have started opening up to you because your closer now - the wanting attention could be part of that people only seek attention because they arnt happy with something in themselves - if your dating maybe talk to her about it - why she acts so happy on the outside and then is constantly complaing to you - a relationship can only work if your open - a lot of things over confidence is just a mask very few people are 100% confident all the time and so people who seem like they are on the outside often arn’t.

I'd be happy if she only looked to me or close ones but she posts herself crying and things and I just find that a bit strange as I am so reserved, how she's depressed they are over little things like her Dad coming in moody, he pays for her exclusive education and she's very lucky but can't see it.
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
Sounds like you only saw the side of her she wants people to see. Now you're closer she's willing to show you the things that scare her or make her insecure.

She's actually an open book completely and will let everyone around her know whether she's happy or sad, I guess I am the opposite so sometimes it makes me think what the ****? But yeah I do try my best to be there all the time for her.
Reply 8
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont think there is a reason why she would do that to you. I think she trusts you enough to open up to you. I think you should engage with her and be there for her. If it gets too much, then maybe have the conversation.

No its cool, I get it, she wants my attention and sympathy so yeah I will just carry on giving it.
No its cool, I get it, she wants my attention and sympathy so yeah I will just carry on giving it.

Try to not be overburdened with it though, so it does not mess with your mind.

Ugh, she sounds like a classic angsty, moody Teenage Girl Who Hates Her Mother. Does she have a hydroflask?

Attention seeking, probably.

nah your girlfriend isn't manipulative. She's stressed from school work probably and the reason why she tells you everything is because she feels closest to you and wants you to be there for her which is why you didn't know about her reserved personality until you guys started dating. It also means she's definitely fully into you otherwise she wouldn't trust you as much as you said she has. But yeah just be there for her and make her feel better and things will probably improve.
Original post by Reality Check
Ugh, she sounds like a classic angsty, moody Teenage Girl Who Hates Her Mother. Does she have a hydroflask?

Attention seeking, probably.

Looool she does 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending