The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

onthejubileeline
Yes, I could, but it's more immediate if I go to university.

The main point is, I'm pretty much just going with the flow. I'm not going to fight society's expectations of me, what's the point?

You can leave as immediately as you want to, whether you have a job or go to uni. Nobody is forcing you to live there.

You're happy to just be another sheep rather than making the most of your individual potential?
Reply 41
Many reasons, to gain more knowledge, to make friends, to be the first person in my immidiate family to have gone and to better myself so i can get a good job and earn a good salary so i can provide a good life for me, my family and children in the future :P
SmilerNuts
You can leave as immediately as you want to, whether you have a job or go to uni. Nobody is forcing you to live there.

You're happy to just be another sheep rather than making the most of your individual potential?

Yes. Hopefully it'll pay off. :biggrin:
Reply 43
Further my knowledge, and for the experience.
Knowledge and the experience. It annoys me when people try to manipulate universities and use them as a stepping stone for their career. That isn't what university should be about.
Because I want more knowledge.
Reply 46
University is a stepping stone to a good career, you go to university to gain your degree which then enables you to apply for a greater range of jobs and ultimately the one you you want.
Carlo08
University is a stepping stone to a good career, you go to university to gain your degree which then enables you to apply for a greater range of jobs and ultimately the one you you want.

That's an incredibly cynical attitude. University is about broadening horizons and broadening the mind; it shouldn't be for personal job satisfaction.
I want to go to university so that I can study something that i love further. Also, I already live and breathe what I plan on studying.

Pluuus, I want to be able to use my degree to gain the career path i've always wanted to follow, teaching!
SmilerNuts
People that are saying they went cause they "didn't know what else to do", do you think that's the right way to go about it? Wouldn't researching all the possible options before making a decision have made more sense?

I have. Hence why I am not worried about actually getting into university come results day (rather I am worried about my grades because of all the hard work I've put in - I would be upset if it was wasted) as I know what I would do in the short term instead, just not the long term. Three years at university gives me longer to decide exactly what I want to spend my life doing.
SmilerNuts
Things like Trainee schemes for school leavers, studying part time with the Open University, going straight into the world of work? It's kinda sad how little young people are told about these things as the government tries to push more and more people into going to uni.

The OU is incredibly expensive from the research I have done. Certainly not an option people should take unless they have no choice (due to work or family commitments, or limited formal education etc).
affinity89
I have. Hence why I am not worried about actually getting into university come results day (rather I am worried about my grades because of all the hard work I've put in - I would be upset if it was wasted) as I know what I would do in the short term instead, just not the long term. Three years at university gives me longer to decide exactly what I want to spend my life doing.

I'm glad you've at least looked into other options :smile: I've got nothing against university, just annoys me when people just go cause they think they have no choice or don't think about their future. Shame there's not more folk like you.
so that i can **** some bitches!!
SmilerNuts
I'm glad you've at least looked into other options :smile: I've got nothing against university, just annoys me when people just go cause they think they have no choice or don't think about their future. Shame there's not more folk like you.

Fair enough. :smile:

When you decided to leave, what did/do you plan to do now?
affinity89
Fair enough. :smile:

When you decided to leave, what did/do you plan to do now?

Moved to Glasgow where there are far more job opportunities and am now looking for a career in the finance sector. There's a range of things for school leavers available that offer training and pay well. I just figure it's what I was gonna do once I graduated so I'll save myself a few years and mountains of debt and gets some hands on experience.
just want better employment prospects. i dont think i will be pursuing further academic studies despite my good degree.
Reply 56
ramanprakash100
so that i can **** some bitches!!

Lol.
Further my knowledge.
To avoid a job..
To get a degree, further my knowledge... and economics is a hoot!

Latest

Trending

Trending