Bike Disc Brakes Watch

electromagnetic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My discs are rubbing on the pads but don't seem buckeled, I've lossened the pads but it still happens. How much will it cost to get this fixed do you think?

I went to halfords yesterday and they dont even sell the discs and now I'm not sure if its the discs or the pads...Also the screw that hold it on to the wheel are those stupid star shaped screws and i dont have that screwdriver.

Anyway my main question is cost...?

Thanks.
andiroo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
www.wiggle.co.uk is excellent for parts and prices (some stuff is expensive but thats because it is the highest quality you can buy, as in what the pro's would use). Also google wiggle discount codes, i find one every time i use the store to get money off.
ashefbjhsdab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firstly are they cable actuated or hydraulic? Do you know what make they are?
If it is just standard rubbing, its a fairly easy home repair (just requires a bit of patience while you first get the hang of it).

The procedure is slightly different depending on whether they are cable or hydro...so I'll be able to explain when you reply
electromagnetic
Rep:
?
Thanks

They're cable
ashefbjhsdab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, slightly harder to adjust then :p:

If you loosen the 2 bolts that hold the brake caliper (the main body of the brake) to the frame it will come loose. Then there are 2 methods, you can loosen them until the caliper is free moving, then hold the brake down as hard as you can and while holding it down, tighten up the bolts.

If that doesn't work (it normally wont with cable ones), you can loosen the bolts so that you can slide the body around...but its not going to move around itself, and by looking at the gap between the pads and the rotors, and listening for rubbing you can keep positioning it until it no longer rubs. You may want to consider putting a white piece of paper, or a light source behind the caliper so you can see the gap between the pads and the rotor easier.

If your rotor is really really out of true (ie noticable bent) you will have to replace the rotor.

Oh and be very careful not to stick your finger in the rotor gap when the wheel is turning...it can result in painful cuts and/or loss of a finger.

EDIT: Oh and you'll have to do this with your bike in a workstand or resting on the saddle/handlebars, so you can spin the wheel to check the rubbing.

There are probably lots of articles on the internet about it...eg http://www.krankdirtwear.com/fix-you...5-workshop.pdf
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you may need to use spacers where the caliper is mounted, to shift the caliper outwards, or a spacer on the wheel spindle, to move the caliper in essentially.

let a bit more cable through the cable grip on the caliper to move the moving piston out a bit.
electromagnetic
Rep:
?
Cheers i'll probs do it tomorrow and then report back.
ashefbjhsdab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck, I wont have internet access until tuesday.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise