The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

A few questions about Computer Science @ Aberystwyth University

Hey there! I've applied to study Computer Science BsC at Aberystwyth University starting 2020, and I just have a few quick questions I hope any students or others could answer.

1. What are the Computer Labs like? What kind of specifications do the workstations have?

2. What programming languages are used most often on the course?

3. What is the internet speed like on campus and in the uni-run accommodation?

4. I live quite far away so may not be able to attend an open day, so what is your impression on the campus (particularly the computer science buildings) as a whole? Are the facilities well-maintained and modern?

Thanks in advance for your help :smile:
Not an actual student yet, but I've applied for the same course and I got a load of info about it from the open days I've been to so I hope I can help!

1. From the ones I've seen, they're quite large but pretty standard. They're running reasonably high tech PCs and I've been told they're mostly Windows but they have some Linux and Mac OS labs! (also it's just kinda cool how they fold into the tables to make work-desks!) Oh, and most are open 24hrs!

2. C++ and Python, but Java was mentioned too

3. Apparently it's alright but varies. Can't really say to be honest because the students seemed to have different opinions.

4. I really like the campus! The building exteriors are kinda dated and clearly not updated since they were built, but all the buildings are pretty recently renovated on the inside - or at least aren't falling apart. As for the CS building specifically, it's very new and clean on the inside but kinda dated on the outside. Depends if you care about aesthetics or not tbh.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Hey! 2nd year Comp Sci here :smile:The PCs in the computer science buildings largely run Windows as previously stated - with some running OSX. Many of them dual boot with Linux (Mint, I believe).Java is used a lot over all three years, because it's used as an introduction to OO programming, then a lot as real life examples of theory.Also, the computers in the Hugh Owen library (Including the newly refurbished part) are all reasonably fast, and have all the courseware required for your degree scheme :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest