The Student Room Group

Unis that are good for medicine.

Hi everyone,

I'm in year 12 at the moment and have just finished my AS levels so now it's time for some serious thinking about unis, etc!
I've been to a few open days- Manchester, UCL, and Birmingham which I can't get into anyway as I don't have the gcse requirements. I didn't like Manchester much, but I loved UCL! I was thinking Kings College too...
Any recommendations as to what other unis are good for medicine, and have a reasonable "getting in" chance?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

hmmm.

York?
or Sheffield?

[excluding the obvious-OX-BRIDGE:smile:]
Reply 2
st andrews is pretty :smile:
Maybe post your GCSE results and predicted grades? If you're probably not going to get AAA, some unis (though not toooo many) are out.
Reply 5
Okay my gcses: 4 A*s, 4 A's, B, C, and a C in critical thinking AS.
My predicted AS grades : AAAC (which i really don't think i'll be getting, but there you go)
Reply 6
Thanks for the guardian link. What's the general consensus on St. George's medical school?
St George's is perfectly fine.
Reply 8
Okay just realised i can't get into st.george's anyway! my predicted grades aren't up to their standards. hmph.
Reply 9
Can I just say, virtually all universities will be of the same rough standard. Sure there may be differences in the methods of teaching (some may be more PBL, for example) but all of the universities are "fine" otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to teach the subject (they are strictly monitored).

So don't think too much about how "good" or reputable a uni is look at the teaching methods, university structure and city. Those are what you should be concentrating on.
Reply 10
Also no university will offer "a reasonable chance of getting into". It's a massively competitive course and, as far as I know, all unis are oversubscribed. There aren't shortcuts.

But, for what it's worth, Newcastle. Best student city in the country!
As River85 has said, ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS ARE DECENT FOR MEDICINE. You come out with exactly the same qualification and all are monitored by the GMC. Each one operates differently and has different methods for teaching so really you have to choose the one which you think would best suit your learning style.

No medical schools are easier to get into than others either. Getting the grades is only half the battle, you need to have done work experience and usually voluntary work to stand a good chance of even being offered an interview.

If I were you, I would post in the medicine section of the forum for more information.
Reply 12
Okay thanks for the advice everyone!
I'm a bit confused as to what other teaching methods there actually are. I know PBL is problem based learning but what exactly does it involve?
Reply 13
Oke doke, you're getting a bit ahead of yourself, you kinda need to go back to the start and do some reading. You need to cover how medical curricula have been historically and their basic components, how they're delivered and how this is regulated. You then need to look at the different career pathways through medicine from fresher/preclinical onwards.

After that, you can look through all the medical school prospectuses in that context (Ignoring where you think you can and cannot get into), then make up shorter and shorter lists for further study. Medicine is all about thorough systemic investigation to get the best information and therefore decision possible and this is a good way to start. Have fun.
Reply 14
All of them are good for medicine.
All of them are very competitive.
No university is prefered to another when applying for jobs.

So it boils down to one which YOU think you can spend 5+ years of studying Medicine in.
Reply 15
I've heard that LSE is on the up for medicine these days, as is Sandhurst.
unistats.com is a great site for choosing courses - gives average ucas points at entry and everything.
Reply 17
pooh_bear7
Thanks for the guardian link. What's the general consensus on St. George's medical school?

St George's is awesome!!!!! see my sig :biggrin:
Reply 18
Consider whether you want to do dissection also: I know that Cardiff and Leicester do dissection.
Aciassa
Consider whether you want to do dissection also: I know that Cardiff and Leicester do dissection.

Also St Andrews and Newcastle.

Bristol does a little.

Latest

Trending

Trending