Stupid bloody laptop Watch

Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Right,

Liked to think of myself as reasonably knowledgable about computers. Obviously, I'm massively wrong on this.

My old laptop developed a nasty set of viruses, spyware, everything... Completely messed the system up to the point of no return.

That was November, new laptop bought [had to finish uni assignments/projects, etc, no time for repairs...

Now, I'm back at home and am trying to get it operational again.

We have just about let it know that it has an XP system there, but it can't run in anything other than safe mode.

Any clues as to how we let the computer know it's got a proper version of XP?

Alternatively, my dad has a bee in his bonnet about switching it to a Linux machine, pros/cons, ease of this?
Syntax Terrier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you use a Linux operating system, you won't get viruses and suchlike from the inevitable illegal downloading of music, movies and suchlike.
Tut.exe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
get a decent firewall/anti virus -.-'

reinstalling XP is one way to get rid all of the viruses. but if you can use restore point from safe mode, it might work.
cantthinkofaname
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Right,

Liked to think of myself as reasonably knowledgable about computers. Obviously, I'm massively wrong on this.

My old laptop developed a nasty set of viruses, spyware, everything... Completely messed the system up to the point of no return.

That was November, new laptop bought [had to finish uni assignments/projects, etc, no time for repairs...

Now, I'm back at home and am trying to get it operational again.

We have just about let it know that it has an XP system there, but it can't run in anything other than safe mode.

Any clues as to how we let the computer know it's got a proper version of XP?
Alternatively, my dad has a bee in his bonnet about switching it to a Linux machine, pros/cons, ease of this?
if you have problems with viruses a simple reinstall fixes most of it (and diagnostics on the memory) with the same solution for ure newer PC. u need firewall, antivirus and antispyware (windows defender is okay) for ure PC otherwise u do get viruses etc.
vista is pretty good and regular updates make it pretty reliable, i know little of linux.

i have used avast! for years as my antivirus and i never had a problem (its free!).
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
That depends so widely from distro to distro that it's impossible to answer simply. Some distros are made to be end-user friendly, with popular proprietary codecs and the like pre-installed (such as Flash, mp3 support, etc). Such distributions like Ubuntu and PCLOS are very easy to install and use.

Others, such as Slack, Gentoo, Arch, etc should be avoided for the standard end-user unfamiliar with Linux or Unix-like operating systems.

Advantages? Well you'll be less susceptible to malware attacks, most distros are entirely free of charge, and most distros offer a greater amount of transparency and control over the system, some more than others. This also helps to make it extremely customisable and flexible due to its largely modular design.

Disadvantages? Some distributions can be difficult, automatic hardware detection can be a bit hit-and-miss, and some of your favourite Windows-compatible software might not have viable alternatives.

Each distribution has it's own pros and cons of course. Linux isn't an operating system, it's just the kernel. There's no single "Linux OS". Choose the right distro, and you'll have a blast. Choose the wrong one, and you might mess up big time with the text-based installer when you get to the partitioning and wipe your hard drive by mistake.
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cantthinkofaname)
i have used avast! for years as my antivirus and i never had a problem (its free!).
But it talks

I've always been an AVG user.
Kemik
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tut.exe)
get a decent firewall/anti virus -.-'

reinstalling XP is one way to get rid all of the viruses. but if you can use restore point from safe mode, it might work.
Restore points are a waste of time.

If I were you I'd reinstall XP after formatting. Install NOD32 (£30 a year is well worth it) and Firefox. Stop downloading and opening .exe files that you didn't get from a reputable source. E.g. don't open a file that should be a video when it's really an exe

Do regular checks of your computer with Spybot S&D and Adaware Personal.
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kemik)
Restore points are not a waste of time. True, they can't be used to fix all problems, but you can use them to fix a lot of them. They should always be one of the first points of call when trying to fix a computer problem, especially as no harm is done if it doesn't fix the problem, and they can be reversed without hassle.
cantthinkofaname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
But it talks

I've always been an AVG user.
only when it updates or u have an intrusion and u prob can mute it. i used AVG but i eventually got the blue screen on my old PC so switched to avast!
Tut.exe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kemik)

If I were you I'd reinstall XP after formatting. Install NOD32 (£30 a year is well worth it) and Firefox. Stop downloading and opening .exe files that you didn't get from a reputable source. E.g. don't open a file that should be a video when it's really an exe

Do regular checks of your computer with Spybot S&D and Adaware Personal.
no its not exactly a waste of time... works sometimes.
cantthinkofaname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this is fairly common sense, just stay away from dodgy sites, get anit-virus, firewalls and anti-spyware and u wont have such problems!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise