Another Cambridge Question Watch

harriepoppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge this year to study Law but I'm worried that my AS grades won't be up to scratch; however I have a genuine doctor's note which explains them. Will the admissions board take this into account?
rangers_mad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't be silly....Cambridge will never accept a doctor's note
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, if there's a good reason for it.
W0bble
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You haven't been very specific here - in some cases it will explain everything away and in some cases won't be close to enough. Care to elaborate?
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by W0bble)
You haven't been very specific here - in some cases it will explain everything away and in some cases won't be close to enough. Care to elaborate?
That's not really for us to know. That's just curiosity, rather than any chance of helpfulness. The only people who can fairly assess this person's case are the admissions tutors. If she has any more specific questions, they should be addressed to one of them. All people here can do is speculate -- and that's not particularly helpful.
harriepoppy
Rep:
?
In fact Epitome was helpful, I will contact the admissions board as it's not something I wish to discuss with the whole world. I understand that something like a cold won't warrant consideration, but something that directly affects concentration and anxiety may do. Thank you for your comments.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good move; and good luck.
harriepoppy
Rep:
?
I've just received my AS results and, as I thought, they are lower than they should have been due to continued illness. I know that I can still apply to Cambridge via their Special Access Scheme, but I'm not sure if I should retake all my 'bad grade' exams or not. On the one hand, I'm wary to risk it since it will add increased stress which is one of the contributing factors to my illness; on the other, I need good grades to be considered for my course. What do you think?
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by harriepoppy)
I've just received my AS results and, as I thought, they are lower than they should have been due to continued illness. I know that I can still apply to Cambridge via their Special Access Scheme, but I'm not sure if I should retake all my 'bad grade' exams or not. On the one hand, I'm wary to risk it since it will add increased stress which is one of the contributing factors to my illness; on the other, I need good grades to be considered for my course. What do you think?
Hi harriepoppy,

As before, this is something you would do well to contact admissions tutors about to get an answer (or a set of answers) which you can at least know are reassuringly official.
The whole point of CSAS is to explain slightly dodgy results. With that in mind, retaking might be irrelevant. But it's not irrelevant to your other university choices, which might not have a CSAS equivalent. Much of this possibly depends on whether you can get your grades up this year, just with your A2 exams -- if you stand a good shot of pulling your overall grade up this year anyway, retaking might just be unnecessary stress. OR they might be a good move. So much of this depends on your own view, circumstances, and plans. Sorry, that's not very helpful!

one thing, though -- you mention stress being a problem. I've no idea what your illness is, and I don't want to know; but if the 'stressful' Cambridge atmosphere is likely to cause a problem to you as a student (i.e. if it's not just a short-term thing), you might want to take that into consideration, for the good of your health. (That's not to put you off, by the way -- just worth thinking about!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise