Can I afford?... Watch

trefusis128
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey all, I was just wondering how muc university; and possibly law school could end up costing?

My parents earn very little at current although this is likely to change. I have roughly £10000 in savings which I can access at either 18 or 21 (not quite sure) and ill be earning roughly £100 a week throughout Sixth form and most of this will go into my savings account.

But once I leave Sixth this income is likely to stop alltogether and ill have to find part-time work ect.

With no support from parents how empoverished will I become :p:

Just wanted to hear how you guys made it/intend to make it through Uni and Higher Ed.
wallflower*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Loans and grants are how most people do it.
Makaveli_The_Don
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'll just have to take a loan and then pay it back when you have a job.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I intend to fund university by going up to the hilt in debt. My parents won't pay for me, despite being able to afford to. I'll scrape by, it'll be a good experience.
rarara2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes you can definitely afford it. Most people manage with no savings, so i think with £10000 you'll be fine!!
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im going to uni, with no savings, and probably no money from a job before i get there...

im gonna be upto my eyeballs earning debt for 3 years, then paying it off for many more years.

you're lucky to have savings...
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well if your parents have little enough you'll get a full grant, and be able to have maintainance loans plus no tuition fees - you'll have a luxury life!

EDIT: Ooh yea - I'll get full loans and grants, plus any money if I get a part time job during A-levels and at uni, and that's what I'll live off. Which is better than people whose parents are better off and won't give any money, actually.

If that £100 is every week and you save it all for 2 years, you'll have £20,000 by the time you go, in savings! Which is loads. :eek:
nk9230
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Smoobla)
I intend to fund university by going up to the hilt in debt. My parents won't pay for me, despite being able to afford to. I'll scrape by, it'll be a good experience.
I'm in the U.S, and i'm going to have to get student loans if I don't get much in Grants and scholarships. My parents wont pay because no one paid for them, and its quite expensive. Honestly, our Federal Aid Form doesn't promise much if your over a certain income pool.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nk9230)
I'm in the U.S, and i'm going to have to get student loans if I don't get much in Grants and scholarships. My parents wont pay because no one paid for them, and its quite expensive. Honestly, our Federal Aid Form doesn't promise much if your over a certain income pool.
My father has his own business and when the time came for me to fill out the student finance forms, he had to pay the accountant hundreds of pounds to sort out his accounts to make sure I can receive the optimum amount of grants from the government. It's so annoying, every penny he earns counts against me!

It sounds a bit like my dad paid someone to fiddle the books, but it's all legit!

Edit: It is SO expensive to go to university in America, good luck paying for it!
nk9230
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Smoobla)
My father has his own business and when the time came for me to fill out the student finance forms, he had to pay the accountant hundreds of pounds to sort out his accounts to make sure I can receive the optimum amount of grants from the government. It's so annoying, every penny he earns counts against me!

It sounds a bit like my dad paid someone to fiddle the books, but it's all legit!

Edit: It is SO expensive to go to university in America, good luck paying for it!
Thanks,
thats why im also looking at college in the U.K. College tuition here is insane.
Smoobla
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nk9230)
Thanks,
thats why im also looking at college in the U.K. College tuition here is insane.
If I manage to achieve the grades for my uni course *crosses everything* then I will spend a year studying at an American uni and the fees for that year are only £1 500! I don't know why, but it's rather fab. I think you have to prove you have a few thousand dollars in savings too, but you'd need that money to live anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads