The Student Room Group

GCSE grades for uni

The uni course I want to do (primary education ba hons) is asking for a 4 in maths English and science. But in science I got a 3-3, would I still get accepted onto the course if I have my maths and English ?
Probably not - as far as I know, unis tend to be quite strict on GCSE requirements
Original post by Sona9
The uni course I want to do (primary education ba hons) is asking for a 4 in maths English and science. But in science I got a 3-3, would I still get accepted onto the course if I have my maths and English ?

Hey, :groovy:

It would be best to check with the university directly as it will depend upon the course.

Some courses that are accredited or that are QTS (Qualified Teaching Status) awarded require certain GCSE's at a certain levels for government requirements.

For example the Primary QTS course at Hope require Maths, Science and English GCSE grade 4 because it is a requirement set by the government and not the university directly. This is of course due to the fact the course is for training teachers who will progress in to the teaching profession.

I hope this helps.

Tom :scuba:
It depends on how many ppl apply for that course in that uni. If you meet the A level requirements or ucas points then they could just give u a conditional offer which means u may need to do retake for gcses in those subjects.
Original post by Sona9

No,
if they say 4 it most likely means 4. Most GCSE requirements are set to be a minimum standard and generally lower than expectation already.

You can email and ask, but tbh I would think it would be a no. Your best bet is asking about their GCSE resit policy and go down that route.

I would suggest coming up with a plan B & C as well, these requirements are likely there not only to ensure the people can complete the degree but are also suitable for teaching in the future...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending