intellectual snobbery? Watch

This discussion is closed.
butterfly_girl_5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does anyone find they are accused of this/worry they are guilty of this/find this widespread in the 'oxbridge' culture?

I notice with a lot of my friends that even though we share a genuine interest in reading books & literature, when I talk about what I would call 'academic' like using words like intertextuality or narrative structure to talk about a book I like they zone out. and people think im a geek for liking reading books about critical theory

thats fine with me, but what I find difficult is how its a no-go area to say 'youre not interested in academic thinking or looking at or reading literature in an academic way.' even though a lot of people I talk to are dismissive of books or poetry all together because they assume theyre not clever enough or they accuse it of not having an exciting plot/not being written in a way they can understand. my experience of a lot of people my age (18) and young people is they dont try to understand this phenomenon called 'academia' but then form a rather hostile attitude to 'academics' and talk about 'clever' and 'not clever' people in terms of 'us' and 'them'

I have to say, having grown up in oxford I do find something rather self satisfied in academics and self-congratulatoriness (if thats a word) w regards to peoples own intelligence or academic achievement. I worry that I am becoming prone to this sort of snobbery as Ive developped my intellectual abilities- I want to be interested in academia and using critical awareness when reading for its own sake, not to feel selg-important

what do people think?
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I grew up in Cambridge and yes, the academic world can inflate their own importance.
Loser222
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by butterfly_girl_5)
Does anyone find they are accused of this/worry they are guilty of this/find this widespread in the 'oxbridge' culture?

I notice with a lot of my friends that even though we share a genuine interest in reading books & literature, when I talk about what I would call 'academic' like using words like intertextuality or narrative structure to talk about a book I like they zone out. and people think im a geek for liking reading books about critical theory

thats fine with me, but what I find difficult is how its a no-go area to say 'youre not interested in academic thinking or looking at or reading literature in an academic way.' even though a lot of people I talk to are dismissive of books or poetry all together because they assume theyre not clever enough or they accuse it of not having an exciting plot/not being written in a way they can understand. my experience of a lot of people my age (18) and young people is they dont try to understand this phenomenon called 'academia' but then form a rather hostile attitude to 'academics' and talk about 'clever' and 'not clever' people in terms of 'us' and 'them'

I have to say, having grown up in oxford I do find something rather self satisfied in academics and self-congratulatoriness (if thats a word) w regards to peoples own intelligence or academic achievement. I worry that I am becoming prone to this sort of snobbery as Ive developped my intellectual abilities- I want to be interested in academia and using critical awareness when reading for its own sake, not to feel selg-important

what do people think?
I bet your accused of it. You use too many long words and people prefer short ones. "intellectual" should be "smart" , "literature" should be "books" People don't want to read something tht is long and boring. People want to read oay magazine and fun stuff like that instead of listening to someone drone on about a books theme and the characters. Its just a bloody book! you don't have to analyse every god dam word.
jnm2324
Report 10 years ago

what do people think?
God that was boring.
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loser222)
I bet your accused of it. You use too many long words and people prefer short ones. "intellectual" should be "smart" , "literature" should be "books" People don't want to read something tht is long and boring. People want to read oay magazine and fun stuff like that instead of listening to someone drone on about a books theme and the characters. Its just a bloody book! you don't have to analyse every god dam word.
Sorry- are you saying this is what other people think and its their prejudice- or that you agree?
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by jnm2324)
God that was boring.
dont read it then

if your going to post- tell me why what I said bored you
Charlotteee
Report 10 years ago
'music (grd. 8 paino'
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you're intellectual end like to use long words, necessarily or otherwise, then that is who you are, and you shouldn't have to be sorry for it. clearly, don't go out of your way to confuse, but otherwise...

'dumming down' what you say would surely just be patronising (or should i say, being simple so that you can understand it...). i think that would go down far worse.
Demoskratos7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Surely being in academia, be it the arts or sciences, requires you to recognise the extent of your own ignorance, (just walk into Cambridge University Library and stare in wonder at all the books you'll never read and the knowledge you'll never acquire) - - and so should be a humbling experience than something to make you snobbish?
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Demoskratos7)
Surely being in academia, be it the arts or sciences, requires you to recognise the extent of your own ignorance, (just walk into Cambridge University Library and stare in wonder at all the books you'll never read and the knowledge you'll never acquire) - - and so should be a humbling experience than something to make you snobbish?
well yes- part of true wisedom is to recognise your own ignorance certainly
but im talking more specifically about 'other' people- I mean all my friend bar a handful who also have oxbridge offers, and a lot of adults- not of whom are ignorant or philistine- that they perceive me or other 'clever' or academic people as snobbish
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
because anti-iintellectualism is cool these days
Mr. Orange
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

what do people think?
hahaha i wonder why
kevster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You use too many long words and people prefer short ones.

says who? Are you just speaking for the idiots like yourself?
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well yes- part of true wisedom is to recognise your own ignorance certainly
but im talking more specifically about 'other' people- I mean all my friend bar a handful who also have oxbridge offers, and a lot of adults- not of whom are ignorant or philistine- that they perceive me or other 'clever' or academic people as snobbish
if they perceive you to be that way then there is little you can, or should do.

If you act in the correct way, paying attention to their concerns and including them when appropriate, then you should not come accross as thinking you are 'above' them.

if people still consider you to be arrogant or snobbish, then they are either jelous or simply ignorant of your character.
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
hahaha i wonder why
that was the point- people want to have it both ways
I thought I already said fair play if they do
ThePenguinMafia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
if you're intellectual end like to use long words, necessarily or otherwise, then that is who you are, and you shouldn't have to be sorry for it. clearly, don't go out of your way to confuse, but otherwise...

'dumming down' what you say would surely just be patronising (or should i say, being simple so that you can understand it...). i think that would go down far worse.
well, I think the words you use should be appropriately tuned to the person you're talking to and the subject you're talking about. That said, if you're using words that are most appropriate to the sentence regardless of size, I do respect that (despite being arguably the most inarticulate medical student in my year :P), assuming I can infer the meaning of the word through its context or w/e, but if I was talking to a 6 year old cancer patient or a 30 year old drug addict with a massively screwed up brain, I wouldn't exactly go around using the latin words for what was happening.

I think a lot of the time perceived academic snobbery is down to a real sense of personal insecurity from the person making the accusation. I'm probably wrong as I'm **** at psych, but w/e, I can hold my poorly founded opinions if I want to! For my part, I always considered the enthusiasm that my oxbridge friends had for their course was just that. If you love your course you're going to want to talk about it, and not always in a way that the people around you can understand.

I'll make sense of this all later. Still too many drugs in my system.
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by kevster)
You use too many long words and people prefer short ones.

says who? Are you just speaking for the idiots like yourself?
I think he/she was saying what they thought other people thought- not what they themselves thought
butterfly_girl_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
if they perceive you to be that way then there is little you can, or should do.

If you act in the correct way, paying attention to their concerns and including them when appropriate, then you should not come accross as thinking you are 'above' them.

if people still consider you to be arrogant or snobbish, then they are either jelous or simply ignorant of your character.
I know I cant and shouldnt do anything- but I am interested and concerned with this- partly because if my friends dismiss me as clever theres a problem in our friendship and its possible I am being arrogant without realising it- or as you say- it could be them- but they might equally be insecure for good reason (like me friend who's dislexic)
kevster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know I cant and shouldnt do anything- but I am interested and concerned with this- partly because if my friends dismiss me as clever theres a problem in our friendship and its possible I am being arrogant without realising it- or as you say- it could be them- but they might equally be insecure for good reason (like me friend who's dislexic)
butterfly girl, absolutely absurd question with no relevance but what newspaper do you read?
Aconite
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demoskratos7)
This.

Personally, I think you do sound a bit self-congratulatory. Yes, you're probably very intelligent and whatnot, but you seem a bit keen to rub it in people's faces. The more you learn, the more you ought to realise you DON'T know.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads