Sheffield's semesters Watch

S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Most departments have a reading week in week 7 or 8 of each semester. Each exam period lasts for three weeks.

For example, after the Christmas break, there is a three week exam period and the second semester immediately follows (no downtime).

The second semester is a bit of a nightmare especially if you have lots of coursework - after week 12, exams follow immediately so there is not a lot of time for revision.

So it goes like this:

Semester 1

Week 1-12
Christmas (4 weeks)
Exams (3 weeks)

Semester 2

Week 1 - 5/6/7 (depending on when Easter is that year)
Easter (3 weeks)
Week 6/7/8 - 12
Exams (3 weeks)
gaijin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had my Japanese exam, four days after the spring semester had finished. :rolleyes: Given the intensive nature of the course we were expected to use things that we were just taught on the final day. LOL.

I think it breaks the year up nicely, but there appears to be more a condensed feel to the schedule, if that makes any sense. Iirc, this year Easter was very early so we had a 7 week gap between lessons and lectures (23rd of December until 11th of February I think) and then we had lectures for just 5 weeks and another 3 week gap. This year the gap will be 8/4 either side of the easter break. Ugh.

Last year was kinda weird though because we started in October and finished three days before Christmas! Its basically where the dates fall on.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There was no way I was gonna stay at uni right up untill pretty much christmas day! Fortunatly my department has a 'reading week' on week 12 of each term, So I took that valuable time and went snowboarding.

But yeah, the terms aint that bad as most departments have their own reading weeks.
gaijin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
There was no way I was gonna stay at uni right up untill pretty much christmas day! Fortunatly my department has a 'reading week' on week 12 of each term, So I took that valuable time and went snowboarding.

But yeah, the terms aint that bad as most departments have their own reading weeks.
Us language students don't get reading weeks sadly.
cheapaschips1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We had our reading week on the last week of term last year before christmas and it was fine. We then had another 4 weeks before exams and inevitably an extra week after exams before term started. It felt like we had stupid amounts of time off after christmas and with easter being early, it seamt like we hardly did much between christmas and easter this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads