physics_girl_12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm hoping to work with my teacher and some other people who took the PAT this year to potentially get an Unofficial Mark Scheme going or just to work through the questions. If anybody remembers what the questions were please post them down below.

Thanks,
P_G_12
nuclearpotat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey good idea - I'm willing to contribute as I remembered a fair few of the questions, have a list of most of the questions, save a couple of MCQs. Here are my answers to the MCQS (don't have enough time to do the rest of it rn as I'm at school aha)

1. Sequences - the answer was 4, as the sequence was (iirc) 108, -36, 12 ... so you had to divide by -3.
2. Something to do with Log x and y; cannot remember details, although since you could just check it with a calculator it can't have been too bad.
3. Blue ball, red ball - probability of different colours (blue and red). I believe it was 2br/(r b)(r b-1) with fair amount of certainty.
4. Total energy in an orbit - this is V_tot/2; can be verified by looking at the vis-viva orbit of an equation (did the A2 astro paper a couple of weeks ago lol)
5. Non-zero integrals - pretty sure 2 and 3 were non-zero - i.e. the functions x sin x and e^-x^2 - since both are even functions and integrate to odd functions. Talked to others and they got the same.
6. g_planet / g_earth in a universe where G' = 2G and the planet has a different radius and density. Fairly sure the answer was 2 (use the equation 4/3 pi rho r^3 for volume); checked with others. Can't remember the exact question.
7. Current in a second wire required to double the field strength in the middle - must be -I, since you've got to double the field strength, but the fields need to circulate in different ways to sum instead of subtract, if that makes sense...?
8. Values of sec^2 theta for real roots of an equation - cannot remember the answer; i remember just using the fact that tan x can take any value and just used the substitution u = tan theta and then used the discriminant. 80% sure right; maybe missed smth
9 and 10 - cannot remember.
11 - Resistance / bulb brightness. There were two wires in parallel; one had two resistors in series, the other had a resistor in series with two resistors in parallel, and each of the paths was controlled by a switch. The question was which sequence of switches made the bulb go from dimmest to darkest. Dimmest is when the only the switch controlling the two resistors in series; second dimmest is when only the other switch is on; brightest is when both switches are on, since you want the least total resistance for the largest current and thus largest power (P = I^2 R with R held constant) of the resistor.
12. - Phase of the Earth from the moon when the moon is seen to be full. It's a new earth (verifiable with Google), since we see the side of the moon facing the sun, so drawing a diagram, from the moon they'll see the 'dark' side of the earth i.e. new earth.

I can add the other questions soon, although I can't remember all of them since I was focusing on actually taking the exam aha.

Hope this helps, I'm fairly confident about my MCQ answers above (the rest of the paper was harder...).
Last edited by nuclearpotat; 3 months ago
(:p)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nuclearpotat)
Hey good idea - I'm willing to contribute as I remembered a fair few of the questions, have a list of most of the questions, save a couple of MCQs. Here are my answers to the MCQS (don't have enough time to do the rest of it rn as I'm at school aha)

1. Sequences - the answer was 4, as the sequence was (iirc) 108, -36, 12 ... so you had to divide by -3.
2. Something to do with Log x and y; cannot remember details, although since you could just check it with a calculator it can't have been too bad.
3. Blue ball, red ball - probability of different colours (blue and red). I believe it was 2br/(r b)(r b-1) with fair amount of certainty.
4. Total energy in an orbit - this is V_tot/2; can be verified by looking at the vis-viva orbit of an equation (did the A2 astro paper a couple of weeks ago lol)
5. Non-zero integrals - pretty sure 2 and 3 were non-zero - i.e. the functions x sin x and e^-x^2 - since both are even functions and integrate to odd functions. Talked to others and they got the same.
6. g_planet / g_earth in a universe where G' = 2G and the planet has a different radius and density. Fairly sure the answer was 2 (use the equation 4/3 pi rho r^3 for volume); checked with others. Can't remember the exact question.
7. Current in a second wire required to double the field strength in the middle - must be -I, since you've got to double the field strength, but the fields need to circulate in different ways to sum instead of subtract, if that makes sense...?
8. Values of sec^2 theta for real roots of an equation - cannot remember the answer; i remember just using the fact that tan x can take any value and just used the substitution u = tan theta and then used the discriminant. 80% sure right; maybe missed smth
9 and 10 - cannot remember.
11 - Resistance / bulb brightness. There were two wires in parallel; one had two resistors in series, the other had a resistor in series with two resistors in parallel, and each of the paths was controlled by a switch. The question was which sequence of switches made the bulb go from dimmest to darkest. Dimmest is when the only the switch controlling the two resistors in series; second dimmest is when only the other switch is on; brightest is when both switches are on, since you want the least total resistance for the largest current and thus largest power (P = I^2 R with R held constant) of the resistor.
12. - Phase of the Earth from the moon when the moon is seen to be full. It's a new earth (verifiable with Google), since we see the side of the moon facing the sun, so drawing a diagram, from the moon they'll see the 'dark' side of the earth i.e. new earth.

I can add the other questions soon, although I can't remember all of them since I was focusing on actually taking the exam aha.

Hope this helps, I'm fairly confident about my MCQ answers above (the rest of the paper was harder...).
We have got very similar answers!
nuclearpotat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by (:p))
We have got very similar answers!
Good to hear! I'll write out more solutions later - makes me far more confident
(:p)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nuclearpotat)
Good to hear! I'll write out more solutions later - makes me far more confident
I thought I screwed up completely until I saw these. V impressive memory btw, my head went blank after I walked out.
nuclearpotat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by (:p))
I thought I screwed up completely until I saw these. V impressive memory btw, my head went blank after I walked out.
Honestly lol I saw a list of the multiple choice questions and it jogged my memory so i remembered them in greater detail ig, otherwise I'd have been hopeless lmao
Toednote3363
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello. I am currently creating a spreadsheet for the PAT 2019 exam however I need your guys help! I dont know the marks for each individual question or remember in which particular order they went in. If you would like to PM or reply to this comment to help it would be very useful. (Form) (Actual Spreadsheet) Sorry it isn't very comprehensive I did it so long ago I can't really remember many of the questions. Also, the questions may not be in the correct order but I did try my best to do what I could remember.
NemesisRider
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Now that the PAT 2019 is out, I've been going through the paper and creating a set of worked solutions - I'm hoping to release these online once completed. As you all likely know, Oxford don't release official solutions and most people doing professional versions put them in books that not all students can afford, so I feel having some free ones available online before the PAT 2020 would be positive. I found the Excel spreadsheet that various people filled in after the exam was useful for verifying some of my answers! However there are some parts that were incomplete or lacking in detail.

There are three parts in my worked solutions I would much appreciate hearing others have a try so I can verify my answers.

1. Q15.c. This question asked for improvements by modifying the apparatus. I suggested placing the block on a turntable or some other way of improving the resolution of the change in angle, to help locate the critical angle more easily. What did you suggest?
2. Q16.c. This question wanted you to calculate the first energy level the energy transitions occurred from. My method for this involves using the table function on a calculator then using trial and improvement on the q value - this works fine but I'd love to hear if anyone else had a more elegant method from the exam!
3. Q24.c. I found a slightly different relationship to that on the Excel document - I thought that Fmax = (w^2)/(1-w^2), where w is the critical angular velocity. This plots a graph going through the origin with an asymptote at w = 1. If someone could see what relationship they find it'd be much appreciated.

The paper is online here: https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/...inal-46208.pdf
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help! If you want to discuss this or your answers further, drop me a DM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (371)
67.33%
No (180)
32.67%

Watched Threads