I’m stuck between certain GCSE subjects, and don’t know how to choose??

Watch
yemisi.ogun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello all 💘 in February 2020 I will be choosing which subjects I’ll be taking for my GCSE’s. I’ve asked for advice on picking my subjects from older years in our school, my family and even my friends who are going through the same thing, yet seem to have everything sorted out. They all seem to say “do the one you enjoy the most” or “your choice won’t impact your entire future/career, so don’t worry too much about it” but in my head, it will determine my future, making it super frightening for me to choose. I’ve decided which humanity subject I’m taking (geography) and then of course there are all of the compulsory subjects, but currently I’m really stuck between German and French for my language, and Media and Textiles as my 2nd free choice subject (because I’ve already made up my mind about Drama being my 1st). With German and French, I love both!! In my opinion french is the nicer sounding language, though I tend to get bored in class, and I’m not sure if that’s because of the teacher or my own boredom of the language. With German, I tend to speak it randomly all the time and generally enjoy the classes more. However, I do see myself in the future going to France more than Germany?? Also, if I learn French it would be easier for me to learn Italian, Spanish and other similar languages. With Media and Textiles, I’m a little bit more unsure. I’ve been taking textiles already through year 7 all the way to now (year 9) so have a feel of what it’s like, though only for 1 term per year. Media you can only start taking at your GCSE’s, but there are clubs regarding the subject you can go to beforehand (in which I have). Being a person who loves editing (videos and images alike) in my free time and is actually quite good at it (not to brag aha) I feel like media would be good for me, as I also love journalism and voicing my opinion a lot. I was also told there are a lot more job opportunities within media, like becoming a journalist, a magazine editor or a radio presenter etc. However, I really love textiles and the idea of creating your own clothes/fashion and exploring how it constantly changes through time, as I use my choice in clothes to very much express myself and my mood alike. At my school, you can also just take media as an a-level w/out the gcse (I think if you have a certain grade in English), so I could always do that if I feel myself levitating to media at that point in my life, though I’m not sure if that’s the case for textiles. Advice?
(ps. thank you if you read all the way to the end of this haha. It was v long and probably boring 🤣)
Last edited by yemisi.ogun; 1 year ago
username5006726
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I would suggest that you do the subjects that you enjoy the most. Since you seem to like and speak German more frequently, I would suggest German since doing French because it sounds pretty will not motivate you into revision in Y11 when you're stuck in a rut and beyond sick to death of French. Textiles you clearly enjoy and have somewhat of a talent for so I'd pick textiles myself. If you really, really, REALLY wanna do Media later on, as long as you achieve good enough in English, you will be fine and able to pick it up later.
AGrizzlyBearo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you enjoy German more, then do that.

A Gcse in French/German will not make you fluent in that language, so it doesn't really matter if you see yourself going to France more than Germany.
username5006726
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AGrizzlyBearo)
If you enjoy German more, then do that.

A Gcse in French/German will not make you fluent in that language, so it doesn't really matter if you see yourself going to France more than Germany.
Damn right it don't! I have a GCSE in Spanish and I am not fluent in that language.
yemisi.ogun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Gold.Panda)
Hey, I would suggest that you do the subjects that you enjoy the most. Since you seem to like and speak German more frequently, I would suggest German since doing French because it sounds pretty will not motivate you into revision in Y11 when you're stuck in a rut and beyond sick to death of French. Textiles you clearly enjoy and have somewhat of a talent for so I'd pick textiles myself. If you really, really, REALLY wanna do Media later on, as long as you achieve good enough in English, you will be fine and able to pick it up later.
thank you so much!! this was very helpful and I’ll definitely take your advice into consideration <33
username5006726
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yemisi.ogun)
thank you so much!! this was very helpful and I’ll definitely take your advice into consideration <33
its ok, anytime. Check out my GYG blog for any advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.14%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.13%

Watched Threads