Economics- useful as-levels Watch

AlanRef
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i just did my as-levels in maths, further maths, economics, computing and business studies, and hope to get 5A's.. i will be pursuing the first 3 into A2's, and was wondering what would be the best option? take computing/business into A2 aswell? just take the 3 i intend to?.. but my main question is, is there a as-level i can take in addition to help me getting into ucl. many thanks
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think another AS will help you but your other two subjects aren't that essential either. I would think it would be more useful to take Computing to A2 because sometimes Further Maths is a bit risky as a third A2 and may not be included in offers. (But for Economics it probably would be.)
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Three A-levels and an AS is enough (and you have two; albeit in not the most respected of subjects). If you really want to continue studying the subjects and think you can cope with the workload then go ahead. It's not needed though and an extra AS is fairly pointless.

This is coming from a student who isn't at UCL but I think most would agree?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AlanRef)
i just did my as-levels in maths, further maths, economics, computing and business studies, and hope to get 5A's.. i will be pursuing the first 3 into A2's, and was wondering what would be the best option? take computing/business into A2 aswell? just take the 3 i intend to?.. but my main question is, is there a as-level i can take in addition to help me getting into ucl. many thanks
It depends on what you think you would be able to cope with. If you think you could take 4 (or even 5) A2s and get all As then it could be useful as the standard offer is AAA (including Maths and Economics). So if you only take 3 A2s then you would need an A in Further Maths to meet your offer while that might not be the case if you take 4 or more.
AlanRef
(Original post by River85)
Three A-levels and an AS is enough (and you have two; albeit in not the most respected of subjects). If you really want to continue studying the subjects and think you can cope with the workload then go ahead. It's not needed though and an extra AS is fairly pointless.

yeah i think your right.. where do you study and what to you do?
personally i believe maths, further maths and economics are the three strongest subjects to do for economics, especially at ucl, you think not?
AlanRef

yeah thats why i was thinking of doing one in geography or physics..
Demoskratos7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do the subjects you enjoy. Their relevance is irrelevant.
AlanRef
(Original post by alex_hk90)
It depends on what you think you would be able to cope with. If you think you could take 4 (or even 5) A2s and get all As then it could be useful as the standard offer is AAA (including Maths and Economics). So if you only take 3 A2s then you would need an A in Further Maths to meet your offer while that might not be the case if you take 4 or more.
what modules did you do in maths and further maths, and what are your grades in the modules so far?
AlanRef
(Original post by Demoskratos7)
Do the subjects you enjoy. Their relevance is irrelevant.
nice phrase, though not completely true.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i think your right.. where do you study and what to you do?
personally i believe maths, further maths and economics are the three strongest subjects to do for economics, especially at ucl, you think not?
Durham (philosophy and politics) with only three A-levels and no AS 'Tis OK as I got offers from all universities (including an unconditional from UCL when I applied second time round; not that I was going to go). This was years ago though when you could get away with the extra AS. It's generally expected, after 2000, that students take 4 AS' and drop 1, take the remaining 3 to A2. Anything more than that is a bonus and often completely unecessary.

Those A-levels aren't bad at all, certainly maths and economics. Concentrate on working hard in in your A2 year and get the grades. Also don't neglect the importance of the personal statement. These should be your priorities now.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what modules did you do in maths and further maths, and what are your grades in the modules so far?
C1 (100), C2 (99), C3 (90), C4 (97), S1 (99), S2 (97), M1 (96), M2, M3, D1, FP1, FP2.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Those A-levels aren't bad at all, certainly maths and economics. Concentrate on working hard in in your A2 year and get the grades. Also don't neglect the importance of the personal statement. These should be your priorities now.
I would second that; as there is no interview, the personal statement is vitally important for Economics (L100) at UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads