Crime Scene Investigator Career.. Watch

Rach[el]
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've just finished my alevels, but i'm not going to uni this year cos i had no idea of what i wanted to do,
But for a while now the idea of crime scene investigation has sounded really interesting..
Just wondering if anyone knew how to get there?
Because i have no idea where to start or what you need to be something like that.. :confused:
Plus does anyone know if crime scene photographers are seperate jobs or is this a role within the crime scene investigator job?

michelle87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hiya im at teesside doing a similar course

http://www.tees.ac.uk/Undergraduate_...inology_&_Law/
TheOneWho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'd need to go to uni and do a course in it. But every course offers different things. There are also hardly any jobs in the field. With the success of the TV show CSI there has been a boom in the people wanting to do the degree and do it as a career.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do chemistry or biology at a good uni, get work ex in the holidays with forenstics labs
its highly highly competitive and low paid
why do you want to analyse poo and wee anyhow?
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need so much experience to get into these jobs, and it is incredibly difficult to get in.

You dont actually need a degree to work for the police as a crime scene investigator but the way things are at the moment, its probably an advantage to be honest, as is any kind of photography course. Only very rarely are jobs advertised and when they are, loads of people of apply so you need as much experience as possible
Slick 'n' Shady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I recommend you try to get some work experience/shadowing someone in CSI, make sure you understand its not as glamorous as channel five suggests...
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sister has just graduated from:

http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course...ence/index.asp

this course at Lincoln in Forensics.

One of the very few courses to be accredited by the Forensic Science Service; and their labs and facilities for the Forensics are top drawer.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whats she doing now Expression?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Whats she doing now Expression?
She's been taking a break, so she's only just got back from Cuba, enjoying herself.

As has been said though, specific recruitment is quite rare, and competitive (My sister was also quite lazy, in that she did her degree, studied hard, did well at her exams, yet didn't do any careers service sessions in term time!)

There's apparently a post available with Derby Constab, as a Crime Scene Investigator that she was looking into.

But during her time at Uni, and she still has it Full-Time for now, she's been working in the photo lab at the local Klick photopoint back at home, which is probably not a bad substitute in lieu of specific forensic lab work - it's kept her going!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends what you exactly want to do. It's not like CSI where the guys are forensic scientists, scene of crime officers and gun-toting cops all rolled into one - in reality these are all very seperate jobs and you should find out which you would prefer to do.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'll need to do a degree- an accredited Forensics degree is possibly your best bet. However, be prepared for an uphill struggle as places are severely limited in the workplace, and most will go for experience rather than try and train a graduate.
If it's really what you want to do, and you haven't just been watching too much CSI, then good luck! Try talking to someone already in the business and see what they did and how they got there.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
You'll need to do a degree- an accredited Forensics degree is possibly your best bet.
I disagree, your best bet would be a degree in analytical chemistry followed by a forensic science masters (Strathclyde or UCLan are the best places for this).
Swafo
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
When I was applying for university a few years back, almost every careers officer and admissions tutor said to us when asked about this that your best bet is a degree in straight biology or chemistry, with a masters in forensics, rather than a Bsc in Forensics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
49.06%
No - but I will (1)
1.89%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (25)
47.17%

Watched Threads