Want to learn some Hip Hop Dance Watch

bmh16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Really would love to be able to start doing this with all the free time i have now, and was wondering how i should go about starting it because i really have no idea! What's the way to do? Self teaching, or lessons elsewhere? For self teaching, how would i teach myself? All comments appreciated

Ben
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you get a few friends together, you could create your own routines. That's what people in my year did and they performed at a talent thing. Seeing as you live in South Wales, there probably aren't that many clubs near you but you could check. I'm not sure how legal this is, but you could set up in a high street or something with a sound system and lay down a few moves.
But remember, most things start in the bedroom.
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Where a hoody and bob your head.
bmh16
Rep:
?
lol

thanks, when you say that most moves start in the bedroom, i was wondering how you started because i just do all this random rubbish if i try lol For starters theres that move on the floor when you are in that crab look (if you know what i mean LOL), but only using the one hand instead of the two... If you don't get what i mean don't worry!, but there's moves like that which seem just so hard even if you have a six pack (so not weak etc.).
xxbutterbeanxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can learn some stuff on your own, have a look at youtube for example. If you really want to get into hip hop and do all the popping and locking and break dancing then I would say go to classes because it's quite tricky to learn on your own. I used to do hip hop and I found classes really helpful (although I was taught by someone who was on Trouble's Bump n Grind Dance programme...), but you really need to find a good teacher. There are a lot of people out there calling themselves hip hop dancers, but their style is really awful so be wary! Youtube is great though :-D x
bmh16
Rep:
?
Great cheers, would have no idea where to find lessons though :confused: I'll try youtube again for it but it does seem awfully hard that way!
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bmh16)
lol

thanks, when you say that most moves start in the bedroom, i was wondering how you started because i just do all this random rubbish if i try lol For starters theres that move on the floor when you are in that crab look (if you know what i mean LOL), but only using the one hand instead of the two... If you don't get what i mean don't worry!, but there's moves like that which seem just so hard even if you have a six pack (so not weak etc.).
You mean a freeze like breakdancers do???

I had an image of Ricky Gervais doing his dance in the office at first, that's kind of like a crab, lol!!

What type of hip-hop dance was you looking for the ones where they all perform in a group? Or something you can do of the top of your head kinda?

You should learn how to Toprock once your really decent at that then you can branch of into places, I think Toprock is the basis for most hip-hop dance styles. You can learn that in classes or over the internet, there's websites where you can post up videos of yourself for criticisms of what to do better (mainly breakdancing websites).
xxbutterbeanxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just use google to try and find lessons. Youtube basic moves like Cupid Stunt said eg Top Rock/Uprock, six step, try some basic freezes using youtube guides. Wouldn't really attempt anything else if you're not very experienced. But make sure you warm up as well!
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yea man, you want to warm up before freezes and take it slowly, I remember my first few times I thought my arm was going to snap, lol!! Specially if you put momentum into it, I can picture it going oh so wrong...
mushoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
get on you tube and find some videos of what looks good, then find a 'how to' video for the moves. learn a couple and start to string them together. go dancing with groups if you are confident enough, you'll learn new stuff along the way
bmh16
Rep:
?
Cheers guys

This seems to have some good vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElasticIllusion

What do you think of it?
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hip Hop dance lessons in Wales, is that legal?
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bmh16)
Cheers guys

This seems to have some good vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElasticIllusion

What do you think of it?
Cool, seems alright, seems pretty detailed which is helpful.

I'm learning how to do a 1990 at the moment, it's tricky not having not have somewhere decent to do it, but I'm keeping at it till I master it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYtQW...eature=related
bmh16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cupid Stunt)
Cool, seems alright, seems pretty detailed which is helpful.

I'm learning how to do a 1990 at the moment, it's tricky not having not have somewhere decent to do it, but I'm keeping at it till I master it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYtQW...eature=related
God, good luck on doing that, looks well hard!! but really cool too!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads