Flight to New Zealand Watch

joe8232
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever flown with Air New Zealand from London to Auckland (NZ1 or NZ2) straight through [ie. 24 hours] and if so was it as bad as I imagine it would be? I am considering a trip and am wondering whether I need to stop over in LA overnight.
BexTait
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did that a few years ago on my way out there for my second year fieldtrip. Was fine TBH, you had to get off the plane in LA whilst they cleaned it and on/off loaded bags. You didn't get to see outside the gate you were in, and did have to go through the whole visa waiver thingy, so waiting for that killed some time, and they served free water/crisps/snacks in the queue as you waited for that. The room they held you in wasn't too bad, big enough to stretch your legs with toilet/washing facilities (no shower, tho I think the 1st class bit might've done) and again a selection of free refreshments available and duty free (if you had US$). Can't remember how long the stop over took, but some people got some kip either on the floor or chairs.
mfm89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hijack your thread a bit but, how much would a one way flight from Auckland back to London, around the end of august, be? (it would be aug 09, so I'd be booking earlier) Which way costs more, via LA or Singapore?
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About 700 GBP, **** me flights to NZ are expensive!
joe8232
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
That they are! I have just booked and have decided to stay over in LA both ways. Hopefully it will be worth it!
will504
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Flown on Air NZ to Auckland but only as far as Hong Kong (the other way to do it) and everyone going to Auckland had to get off the plane and join a separate queue - not sure for how long

Was pretty impressed with Air NZ, friends that did the same journey with BA/Qantas didnt seem to get nearly as good a service
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When we flew to Aus we have a stop off, and TBH I was so grateful for it. It depends how long you can spend cooped up in one little space. (Especially flying cattle class)
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've flown out to New Zealand and back twice now (admittedly a fair few years ago now), stopping in Hong Kong and Singapore for a couple of days on the way out, and I would recommend stopping in either of those two. On the way back we flew with Air New Zealand (first time with a 3 night stop-over in LA, second time just a refuelling stop) and the break was nice, but the journey home without one wasn't all that bad. However, I enjoy flying and don't get claustrophobic or anything like that; I know that my parents were certainly both pretty jet-lagged the second time around.
brabzzz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Flew with them on the Lon-LA leg.
Endless chocie of movies and free booze. How wrong can you go? ;-)
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
They certainly are, but then you are flying as far away as is possible before you start coming back!

ANZ were very good when I flew with them - I went to Auckland via Hong Kong.
I was incredibly tired and confused for a few days when I got there, but the flight itself was OK.
A day on a plane is daunting and it is monotonous, but ANZ do try their best to reduce the impact of such a long flight. I'd definitely go with them again over BA or Qantas.
Have you tried Emirates? Apparently they're very good, and having to connect to a separate flight in Dubai, it might give you a chance to take a breather if you don't fancy doing it in one go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.01%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.39%

Watched Threads