Law students... Watch

rotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys,
I may do Law at university, but not totally sure yet! Manchester university says on it's website that to do Law you need GCSE Maths and English Language- Grade A'S.
I got an A* in English Language, but a B in Maths...will this count a lot towards me?
Ta!
Dom1989
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm hopefully studying Law at Manchester University this September and I have an A* in English Language and a B in Maths! I think they look at your application as a whole so try to excel in others areas, do well in your exams, write a good personal statement and have a range of trips/hobbies to show off.
charlotteb08
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was thinking the same, I am hoping to apply there but I noticed the same thing. I've just done my GCSEs and will more than likely get a B in English Lang, but an A* in maths - the oppostite of you two!! Hope they take everything else into account as you say
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
I got an offer with Bs in Maths and English
rotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Cheers guys, if I get good AS level grades I will apply to Manchester, I just hope the same thing happens to me as you guys (getting in with a B)
May I ask what you guys got in your as levels?
Merci!!
Wedgie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Manchester like everyone else says looks at an application as a whole and judges you on your merits accross the whole board. They probably say that as they want to make sure you are academically strong, and maths and english are the traditional way of testing that. Going to make a guess that you're smart otherwise you wouldn't be wanting to study law so just make sure you do well at your AS and A-levels and demonstrate that you are a well rounded individual excelling academically and doing hobbies perhaps a job as well.

In my AS's I got a B in maths, A in English Lit and A in History I didn't do my AS in German last year I did the AS and A-level in one year.
Phinz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a second year law student at Manchester. At GCSE I have an A in English and B in Maths and four A's at A-level. I was homeschooled so I explained on my UCAS why I didn't have the conventional number of GCSE's and I rang them up too when it took a little whilst for them to get back to me. As long as the rest of your application makes up for it I don't think it will matter to much.
lawyer_manc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh i had this problem last year when i was applying (im now a student at man uni doing law!)

I got A in English and A in English Lit and B in Maths. Phoned up dept and they said they do not follow that policy anymore. And that was last year!

So dont worry!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise