Do I have Dementia at 18? Help with memory loss please

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm losing my memory more and more - it used to be little things, but its getting worse and worse over the years and I don't know what to do about it.

big recent examples are - I was in my room on my phone, and I looked up to see my flatmate come in - I was in my kitchen. the entire time, for 2 hours I was in my kitchen, and I didn't know - that really freaked me out.

I zone out really easily really quickly and get distracted really easily and quickly too. its getting harder to relate to people, I used to be genuinely empathetic but im not anymore.

I lose track of time really quickly too, I cant tell how long an hour or half an hour is anymore. If I set an event 3 weeks from now, I cant tell when what week has passed by - I have to look at the calendar constantly and its getting worrying. I rely on my friends to tell me what class we have when - because I genuinely forget, even if ive been reminded 6 times.

I'm constantly confused all the time, and am forgetting EVERYTHING. title of movies, names of characters, my friends' names, my way back home..etc. the only jokes I make that make people laugh are the ones I make accidentally misunderstanding things and never correct them for misunderstanding my misunderstanding for a joke (as I don't want to stop them laughing, I let them think I meant to make that joke).

this particular teacher keeps getting angry at me because of how much I forget, but I don't know what to say. what do I tell them? 'sorry I have dementia'? whatever I have, dementia or not, I know its not normal.

I can never remember the right words for anything anymore, and I don't want to talk anymore because of it. everyone forgets words from time to time, but recently (last year) its happening so much, it looks like im doing it on purpose - its humiliating. I cant have conversations anymore.

im also dropping things all the time, I've always been a little clumsy but ive been dropping things and having accidents way too much recently.

im constantly stressing - every second of the day. its either guilt for not giving money to the homeless man I saw on my way to university, worry that my friends don't actually want my company, stress about the work, feeling like a failure about my work, feeling horrible for not being a better person, reflecting on my past in the middle of class...etc

my theory is that I've been abused a lot as a kid, and my coping mechanism was forgetting that event and pretending it never happened. the more I got abused, the more I forgot. but I mostly got abused when I was young, its been like 3 years since ive been abused so why am I losing memory now? maybe because my brain lost track of what to forget and what not to forget? but I really don't know.

I know I don't have a learning disability or dyslexia or anything - but this is memory loss is getting in the way of my friendships and my work and my life. I feel like I can time travel unintentionally and I want it to stop. any help?
suitepee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Anxiety like you have described can cause memory difficulties. Some of the experiences you have described also sound like dissociation, which can be common with trauma. Have you ever had any therapy?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by suitepee)
Anxiety like you have described can cause memory difficulties. Some of the experiences you have described also sound like dissociation, which can be common with trauma. Have you ever had any therapy?
I tried going to a GP, but it made me feel like an attention seeker and that maybe I was just being overdramatic. I don't think ill ever get therapy. if something rly bad happens to me because of this memory loss, then so be it - but I don't want to feel stupid like that again.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
See a neurologist

:doctor:
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In every conversation I have with myself or others I always say several times “Where was I?” or “What was I talking about?”

In one conversation with myself I was talking about how easily I can go on a tangent and got on to atomic penguins (they are just fake penguins with nuclear warheads hidden inside).
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm losing my memory more and more - it used to be little things, but its getting worse and worse over the years and I don't know what to do about it.

big recent examples are - I was in my room on my phone, and I looked up to see my flatmate come in - I was in my kitchen. the entire time, for 2 hours I was in my kitchen, and I didn't know - that really freaked me out.

I zone out really easily really quickly and get distracted really easily and quickly too. its getting harder to relate to people, I used to be genuinely empathetic but im not anymore.

I lose track of time really quickly too, I cant tell how long an hour or half an hour is anymore. If I set an event 3 weeks from now, I cant tell when what week has passed by - I have to look at the calendar constantly and its getting worrying. I rely on my friends to tell me what class we have when - because I genuinely forget, even if ive been reminded 6 times.

I'm constantly confused all the time, and am forgetting EVERYTHING. title of movies, names of characters, my friends' names, my way back home..etc. the only jokes I make that make people laugh are the ones I make accidentally misunderstanding things and never correct them for misunderstanding my misunderstanding for a joke (as I don't want to stop them laughing, I let them think I meant to make that joke).

this particular teacher keeps getting angry at me because of how much I forget, but I don't know what to say. what do I tell them? 'sorry I have dementia'? whatever I have, dementia or not, I know its not normal.

I can never remember the right words for anything anymore, and I don't want to talk anymore because of it. everyone forgets words from time to time, but recently (last year) its happening so much, it looks like im doing it on purpose - its humiliating. I cant have conversations anymore.

im also dropping things all the time, I've always been a little clumsy but ive been dropping things and having accidents way too much recently.

im constantly stressing - every second of the day. its either guilt for not giving money to the homeless man I saw on my way to university, worry that my friends don't actually want my company, stress about the work, feeling like a failure about my work, feeling horrible for not being a better person, reflecting on my past in the middle of class...etc

my theory is that I've been abused a lot as a kid, and my coping mechanism was forgetting that event and pretending it never happened. the more I got abused, the more I forgot. but I mostly got abused when I was young, its been like 3 years since ive been abused so why am I losing memory now? maybe because my brain lost track of what to forget and what not to forget? but I really don't know.

I know I don't have a learning disability or dyslexia or anything - but this is memory loss is getting in the way of my friendships and my work and my life. I feel like I can time travel unintentionally and I want it to stop. any help?
if its this serious and affecting so many aspects of your life, your GP, which you should see asap, as your first point of contact is going to much more useful rather than worrying about what it could be based on TSR posts, wishing you the best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads