The Student Room Group

A level Circles Maths Questions

I'm struggling with two questions.

Q1) O is the centre of a circle. The point P (2,4) lies on the circumference of the circle. What is the gradient of the tangent at P?

Q2) The line y=2x does not meet the circle (x-2)^2 + (y-1)^2=d. Find the range of possible values for d.
Original post by d r e a m y

Q1) O is the centre of a circle. The point P (2,4) lies on the circumference of the circle. What is the gradient of the tangent at P?

Q2) The line y=2x does not meet the circle (x-2)^2 + (y-1)^2=d. Find the range of possible values for d.

1. Co ordinate of O?
2. Substitute y=2x into circle eqn
Original post by ThunderBeard
1. Co ordinate of O?

We aren't given the co-ordinate of O:frown: and thank you
We aren't given the co-ordinate of O:frown: and thank you

Not sure then, sorry.

The origin is (0,0). So you need to work out the gradient of the radius OP (change in y/ change in x). Tangents meet radii at 90 degrees therefore the gradient of the tangent is (-1)/ gradient (negative reciprocal).

The centre of that circle is (2,1). You need to work out a radius that makes sure that the line y=2x does not touch/ intercept the circle.
Original post by jduxie4414
The origin is (0,0). So you need to work out the gradient of the radius OP (change in y/ change in x). Tangents meet radii at 90 degrees therefore the gradient of the tangent is (-1)/ gradient (negative reciprocal).

The centre of that circle is (2,1). You need to work out a radius that makes sure that the line y=2x does not touch/ intercept the circle.

Does that mean I'm allowed to assume that the co-ordinates of O are (0,0)? It doesn't say it's the origin.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ThunderBeard
1. Co ordinate of O?

I subbed y=2x into the circle equation and d=5x^2 -8x+5. How do I find the range of values though? Do I have to make sure b^2-4ac<0? because the discriminant is 36 but this is obviously larger than 0?
(edited 4 years ago)
😁 hi 😉bye
Does that mean I'm allowed to assume that the co-ordinates of O are (0,0)? It doesn't say it's the origin.

I think that’s what it means by O. That’s what O usually means unless there’s a diagram that says O is a separate point
Reply 9
I subbed y=2x into the circle equation and d=5x^2 -8x+5. How do I find the range of values though? Do I have to make sure b^2-4ac<0? because the discriminant is 36 but this is obviously larger than 0?

Good so far.
Now bring the d over to the other side so that your quadratic is equal to zero.
Now you can use the discriminant to find the range of values for d.
Original post by razzor
Good so far.
Now bring the d over to the other side so that your quadratic is equal to zero.
Now you can use the discriminant to find the range of values for d.

ohhhh! thank you so much
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest