"Traditional" Courses Watch

Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've been looking around at the various types of courses, and I feel that the type I would be most suited to (I think) is the traditional course. Failing that then Integrated.

My problem (and hence the reason I am posting), stems from the fact that I can't seem to find that many traditional courses, apart from Oxford (and possibly a couple of others, although I'm not sure). So i was just wondering if anybody could help me by telling me some traditional courses, or failing that any integrated courses which lean more towards the traditional end of the spectrum?
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oxbridge, St Andrews, UCL, Imperial, GKT, Georges, Leeds, Liecester, Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham at least have pretty traditional courses (i.e. PBL is not emphasised, with a strong preclinical/clinical divide.) If it's a subject based (as opposed to systems based) style of learning that you want, then Oxbridge and St Andrews are the ones.
m197
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would think that St George's, Cardiff, UCL and imperial are traditional in a way.
tucker672
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnyofengland)
I've been looking around at the various types of courses, and I feel that the type I would be most suited to (I think) is the traditional course. Failing that then Integrated.

My problem (and hence the reason I am posting), stems from the fact that I can't seem to find that many traditional courses, apart from Oxford (and possibly a couple of others, although I'm not sure). So i was just wondering if anybody could help me by telling me some traditional courses, or failing that any integrated courses which lean more towards the traditional end of the spectrum?
What do you class as tradtional ?
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tucker672)
I think she means closer to the academic end of the spectrum than the wholly vocational. Do you?
Phalanges
Rep:
?
A course which gives you a thorough knowledge of medicine before unleashing you on a patient. So there tends to not be many placements in hospitals or surgeries for the first couple of years, but it is usually made up for it at the end (because you don't have to do so many lectures). Is this right or am I being an idiot and barking up the wrong tree completely?
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
I think she means closer to the academic end of the spectrum than the wholly vocational. Do you?
Classics
English
PPE
Philosophy
Maths
Chemistry
Medicine
Physics
etc.

There all academic........ :confused:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
Yeah, that's a good way of describing it. So you tend to spend a lot of time learning it before putting it into practice, rather than integrating methods and knowledge from the start.
_Mazza_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Classics
English
PPE
Philosophy
Maths
Chemistry
Medicine
Physics
etc.

Look at the sub-forum mate.
Spencer Wells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well in that case everywhere has gradually increasing clinical exposure. No medical school is going to let you out on the wards knowing nothing - at best it'll be a token visit where you interview patients about their experience of health and disease but nothing like the clinical clerkships that you do in years 3 to 5.
Medical courses are much more the same than they are dissimilar.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Classics
English
PPE
Philosophy
Maths
Chemistry
Medicine
Physics
etc.

The OP is talking about different Medicine courses (being more academic or vocational); not different courses in general.
strawberrysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We're pretty traditional - in first and second year there's not might clinical involvement - in first year it's all about interviewing a mother with young children and an elderly person with essay write ups (to learn about holistic approaches to medicine) and in second year we have 1 2 hour session a week in a GPs learning history taking and examinations. No hospital placements unless you choose student selected components involving them. Very much systems based, which is a really great way of organizing your thoughts. And they leave renal and endocrine until the end of second year because they involve so much of your prior learning.
czr1234
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Hi i am in a similar situation to you. I want to study the traditional way- the unis i have looked at so far are-
1) Oxford- theres not much to tell
2) Bristol- there is clinical contact form year 1 but it is just shadowing a gp, and learning basic clinical skills. They dont use PBL.
3)Edinburgh- beautiful uni! But they do use PBL but its not majorly strssed i dont think.
4) Birmingham- looks like a good course, no PBL (that i know of)

Others i know of are Cardiff, St Andrews (however you haev to remember you only stay there for 3 years).

If anyone goes to the unis i mentioned please say if i am wrong about the course.
m197
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
St George's are more or less traditional.
Spencer Wells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by malaz_197)
St George's are more or less traditional.
From next year, the Georges 5 year course is switching to PBL.
m197
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
From next year, the Georges 5 year course is switching to PBL.
is that for 2009-ers? if same goes for us it will be some kind of scam as thats not what they initially said. but either way, i'd like to see your source
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't see why anyone would want to study a "traditional" course. My first degree was completely lecture/practical based and it would bore the pants off me if I was studying medicine by that method. PBL all the way...!!
Spencer Wells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by malaz_197)
is that for 2009-ers? if same goes for us it will be some kind of scam as thats not what they initially said. but either way, i'd like to see your source
http://www.newmediamedicine.com/foru...tml#post581364
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theatrical)
I don't see why anyone would want to study a "traditional" course. My first degree was completely lecture/practical based and it would bore the pants off me if I was studying medicine by that method. PBL all the way...!!
I think a middle of the road course (like Nottingham's) gives the best of both worlds.

Does anybody know what courses are similar to Nottingham's?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (227)
39.27%
No - but I will (40)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (270)
46.71%

Watched Threads