How to cover the Edexcel history content?? Watch

B_r_b4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I started GCSE history last year and was quite confident but now I just feel completely deflated. I discovered that the content that I need to cover is so much and I just get demotivated even thinking about it. I have also been continuously getting 12 out of 16 (15/20, I always get 3 for SPAG) in 16 markers and I can't seem to perfect my exam technique. I was just wondering if anyone has any good structures for paragraphs in 4, 12 and 16 markers and more importantly if anyone has any good ways of quickly covering all of the content/all of the important bits so that I do not look at a question and have no idea what to write about in the actual exam??

By the way, I am doing Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, Crime and Punishment, Superpower relations and Cold war and finally Weimar Germany.
Last edited by B_r_b4; 3 months ago

Apad121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there

I took my GCSEs in 2018 and I did Edexcel too with exactly those topics!

I really enjoyed Cold war and Weimar Germany but not so much the other two.

I would recommend asking your teachers to talk you through the exact structures of the different types of questions because certain questions require you to say certain things in a certain order.

Make sure that your 16 markers follow a good structure of Point, Evidence, Explain and Link in every single paragraph.

I was taking many GCSEs in one go (14 GCSEs) so I didn't have much time to revise the content so I went through the official Pearson Edexcel textbook before the exam to remind myself on all the different topics.

As for the marks, I really do think that you need to make sure that your structure is up to scratch. I found that History was a subject where the exam structure could always guarantee you 12 marks out of the 16 and then you can just expand on a few more points! BTW, an opening and conclusion were vital in order to get all the marks in a 16 marker. I followed the proper exam structure recommended to me by my teacher very closely and then didn't actually do anymore history revision from February up until the exam days! I managed to get a 9 in the end anyway! So I think that making sure you know the exact exam structure for the different types of question is key!!!!!
B_r_b4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thanks for the reply. I just have 2 more questions. I have gone to my teachers about structures and I partially understand them but what I don't get is the explanation for 12 markers and the link for 16 markers. I find that when I write 12 markers I just end up repeating my point in different words for the explanation and in 16 markers using criteria in the link and writing the link itself is really a struggle for me. Do you have any methods or techniques that I can learn to write them properly? Finally, am I right in saying that I do not need to thoroughly go through and take notes from the textbooks, or did I misunderstand what you did to revise?
jemima0103
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by B_r_b4)
I started GCSE history last year and was quite confident but now I just feel completely deflated. I discovered that the content that I need to cover is so much and I just get demotivated even thinking about it. I have also been continuously getting 12 out of 16 (15/20, I always get 3 for SPAG) in 16 markers and I can't seem to perfect my exam technique. I was just wondering if anyone has any good structures for paragraphs in 4, 12 and 16 markers and more importantly if anyone has any good ways of quickly covering all of the content/all of the important bits so that I do not look at a question and have no idea what to write about in the actual exam??

By the way, I am doing Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, Crime and Punishment, Superpower relations and Cold war and finally Weimar Germany.
I did my GCSE's this year with those exact topics. I got a 7. I had a really good grade 9 target book for each topic which really helps with exam structure and technique.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-His...%2C170&sr=8-15
Apad121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by B_r_b4)
Thanks for the reply. I just have 2 more questions. I have gone to my teachers about structures and I partially understand them but what I don't get is the explanation for 12 markers and the link for 16 markers. I find that when I write 12 markers I just end up repeating my point in different words for the explanation and in 16 markers using criteria in the link and writing the link itself is really a struggle for me. Do you have any methods or techniques that I can learn to write them properly? Finally, am I right in saying that I do not need to thoroughly go through and take notes from the textbooks, or did I misunderstand what you did to revise?
You're welcome.

My teacher gave me a really good guide that she wrote herself for how to answer the 12 markers and the 16 markers.

For 12 markers make sure you use the points given from the question and then at least one thing that you have remembered. You should be able to aquire almost all the marks for 16 markers though without having much background knowledge. I would say the 12 markers are actually more reliant on background knowledge.

If you have time, I would recommend looking up Mark Foley who runs free webinars weekly on gcse Edexcel history. I used these too and they were great for content covering and also just exam structure!

My methods were to just follow the exam structure from my teachers. I can try and dig out some of the resources that I had in the past. I remember PEEL was the acronym I used though for the 12 and 16 markers. Point, Evidence, Explain, Link.

I would recommend looking over the content of course but I would DEFINITELY prioritise learning the structure properly. I literally did next to no revision for the content side of the gcse course and had many marks spare into the grade 9 boundary. I did less revision than almost everyone around me for history because I had learnt the exam structure. I literally did about 1hr of revision on the content for each of the papers by just flicking through the textbook once. If you have time do try and learn the content the books but to be completely honest you don't need to. My history teacher still gave me really high marks all the way along and we sat down together to work out the structure while all my other peers were endlessly wasting their time revising the content but not being able to actually tick the boxes of exam structure in the exam.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise