sunflowerss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm in Year 11 and considering a career in either human rights law or humanitarian aid. I'd really like to do some sort of work experience to see what the area is like - does anyone have any tips on where I could look?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sunflowerss)
I'm in Year 11 and considering a career in either human rights law or humanitarian aid. I'd really like to do some sort of work experience to see what the area is like - does anyone have any tips on where I could look?
You can't get work experience directly in human rights law or humanitarian aid unless you've got a family contact. You could try and get some experience in a charity that worked in the area, such as Oxfam, but even then, you'd need to get access to the London office HQ to see anything to do with strategy or policy work.

More relevant would be to try and volunteer in your nearest food bank or similar, and begin to understand the multiple challenges involved in aid, its finances, how to deliver, responsibility, opportunity, the pros and cons of aid etc.
sabby5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I encountered the same problem in yr 12. The best idea is to find work experience in a law firm or go to some court hearings or related topics at local courts and then do external volunteering with local charities etc. It is really hard to find any sort of work experience in this sector if you are under 18 and don’t have connections in the aid related world.
However an avenue that might be good to look at is the British Red Cross they do a summer volunteering for 15-18 yr olds at their HQ. I’ve heard it’s quite difficult to get into but it’s worth a try!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (173)
70.61%
No I haven't decided yet (44)
17.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
11.43%

Watched Threads