RyanC_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Ok, so I know this has probably been asked countless amounts of times but I'm really just at a loss with Geography..

I have a mock just on Paper 1 geography (it's AQA) in November but it's the first time I've ever done a full paper and I can't remember/never learnt most of the content.. For example, we studied tectonic hazards at the start of Year 9 and we haven't looked at them since and our teacher left on maternity leave so we never learnt rainforests or ecosystems at all. This means I have huge gaps in my knowledge and wouldn't be able to answer much - especially questions relating to case studies!

I was just wondering how best to revise for everything in paper 1 (the general content AND my case studies) in about 3 weeks when I also have mocks for english,maths,the sciences + french and I obviously want to revise for them too.

I was thinking flashcards or mindmaps but by the time I've made them I won't have time to revise from them so they won't be very helpful .

BTW I'm doing rivers+coasts for the questions in section C if that matters at all
Last edited by RyanC_; 5 months ago
clouddbubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RyanC_)
Ok, so I know this has probably been asked countless amounts of times but I'm really just at a loss with Geography..

I have a mock just on Paper 1 geography (it's AQA) in November but it's the first time I've ever done a full paper and I can't remember/never learnt ANY of the content.. For example, we studied tectonic hazards at the start of Year 9 and we haven't looked at them since and our teacher left on maternity leave so we never learnt rainforests or ecosystems at all. This means I have huge gaps in my knowledge and wouldn't be able to answer much - especially questions relating to case studies!

I was just wondering how best to revise for everything in paper 1 (the general content AND my case studies) in about 3 weeks when I also have mocks for english,maths,the sciences + french and I obviously want to revise for them too.

I was thinking flashcards or mindmaps but by the time I've made them I won't have time to revise from them so they won't be very helpful .

BTW I'm doing rivers+coasts for the questions in section B if that matters at all
find some exam questions and plan out your answers to them (i’m talking 4,6,9 markers!!) because not only will it help you think about your exam technique, it will also help you to review the content.

it can be brief - my plans were just scribbles and sentences, nothing more

mind maps are useful for case studies, and if you have the cgp book, the summary questions are a god send!! otherwise look on quizlet as there are some recall questions that will really help you
LilyCutts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Go on Quizlet, you can find plentiful of flashcards that people have used over the years. But definitely learn your case studies back to back. I would definitely find some past paper questions and practice the 9 markers if you don't feel comfortable with the questions at first do them open book then approach the same questions at a later date hope this helps
itwasmebb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'd say your best course is to do as many practice questions as you can on the longer ones, mark them, and learn from where you went wrong. This'll allow you to pick up a good portion of the paper's marks. For your case studies, pick out which one is for what topic (Some can be used for more than one topic) and write them out on flashcards. Case study on the front and all the information you'll need on the back. Not only will this help you get what you need to be writing into your head but you'll also have a sound revision tool. Just go over these once in a while and you should be able to remember the key facts and figures.Quizlet is also a really good tool of revision and there is some really good GCSE Geog stuff on there already for you to use.Not wishing to brag, but I got a 9 in my GCSE Geog and this is the kind of thing I did.Good luck
RyanC_
Rep:
?
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
find some exam questions and plan out your answers to them (i’m talking 4,6,9 markers!!) because not only will it help you think about your exam technique, it will also help you to review the content.

it can be brief - my plans were just scribbles and sentences, nothing more

mind maps are useful for case studies, and if you have the cgp book, the summary questions are a god send!! otherwise look on quizlet as there are some recall questions that will really help you
Thank you! I will definitely do that + hopefully I get a similar question in the exam..
I do have the CGP book but I forgot about it until now since I've not actually used it yet lol 😂

(Original post by LilyCutts)
Go on Quizlet, you can find plentiful of flashcards that people have used over the years. But definitely learn your case studies back to back. I would definitely find some past paper questions and practice the 9 markers if you don't feel comfortable with the questions at first do them open book then approach the same questions at a later date hope this helps
Thanks luckily my teacher gave us a sheet with the case studies (although it's very brief) so I know what the names of them are atleast!
I will try this too

(Original post by itwasmebb)
I'd say your best course is to do as many practice questions as you can on the longer ones, mark them, and learn from where you went wrong. This'll allow you to pick up a good portion of the paper's marks. For your case studies, pick out which one is for what topic (Some can be used for more than one topic) and write them out on flashcards. Case study on the front and all the information you'll need on the back. Not only will this help you get what you need to be writing into your head but you'll also have a sound revision tool. Just go over these once in a while and you should be able to remember the key facts and figures.Quizlet is also a really good tool of revision and there is some really good GCSE Geog stuff on there already for you to use.Not wishing to brag, but I got a 9 in my GCSE Geog and this is the kind of thing I did.Good luck
Thank you
Ooh well done on that grade 9! I'm looking to get an 8 but I really wanna do well in mocks and get atleast a 6 😂
I might start on the flashcards now so I can tackle some questions tomorrow..
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
do lots and lots of exam questions- even if it's just bullet point notes at least you can see what you know and what you don't.
flashcards for processes and those diagrams will be useful.
if you have a decent revision guide or textbook you may be able to teach yourself some of rainforests and ecosystems?? there's plenty of resources available nowadays so it may be more manageable than you think and although i wasn't on aqa, ecosystems for me wasn't too difficult! will you be getting taught on those topics at any point?
RyanC_
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
do lots and lots of exam questions- even if it's just bullet point notes at least you can see what you know and what you don't.
flashcards for processes and those diagrams will be useful.
if you have a decent revision guide or textbook you may be able to teach yourself some of rainforests and ecosystems?? there's plenty of resources available nowadays so it may be more manageable than you think and although i wasn't on aqa, ecosystems for me wasn't too difficult! will you be getting taught on those topics at any point?
Thank you for your reply!

I have a CGP revision guide and I'm gonna look through YouTube to try and find some videos on them.. I have a basic understanding of both (ecosystems more so from biology) it's mainly just learning + using the key words and any case studies we missed out

We go back to school on Monday so we might get taught it then or my actual geography teacher comes back from maternity leave during our mocks (thank goodness!!) so I'm gonna ask her if she will go over them. (I've changed back and forth from geography teachers so many times over the past few years it's unbelievable and very confusing 😂)
Last edited by RyanC_; 5 months ago
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you for your reply!

I have a CGP revision guide and I'm gonna look through YouTube to try and find some videos on them.. I have a basic understanding of both (ecosystems more so from biology) it's mainly just learning + using the key words and any case studies we missed out

We go back to school on Monday so we might get taught it then or my actual geography teacher comes back from maternity leave during our mocks (thank goodness!!) so I'm gonna ask her if she will go over them. (I've changed back and forth from geography teachers so many times over the past few years it's unbelievable and very confusing 😂)
no worries!!
yeah the case studies are the annoying part!! so many of them to learn but they're not difficult really :laugh:
i'm glad to hear she's coming back, hope she covers anything you've missed out!! had such a kerfuffle with my geography teachers during gcse too, they kept changing but i ended up coming out w a good grade so i'm sure you'll do fine :grin::thumbsup:
RyanC_
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
no worries!!
yeah the case studies are the annoying part!! so many of them to learn but they're not difficult really :laugh:
i'm glad to hear she's coming back, hope she covers anything you've missed out!! had such a kerfuffle with my geography teachers during gcse too, they kept changing but i ended up coming out w a good grade so i'm sure you'll do fine :grin::thumbsup:
There is definitely a lot :lol: I have a booklet of them that I was given and theres 11 in here, just for paper 1!

She is the only geography teacher that actually taught me anything and the only one who actually believes in me 😂

I'm hoping for an grade 8 at in the summer since geography is one of my good subjects but for mocks I'd be happy with anything over a 6
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There is definitely a lot :lol: I have a booklet of them that I was given and theres 11 in here, just for paper 1!

She is the only geography teacher that actually taught me anything and the only one who actually believes in me 😂

I'm hoping for an grade 8 at in the summer since geography is one of my good subjects but for mocks I'd be happy with anything over a 6
aw well at least you have one supportive teacher
good luck, let me know how you get on!!
Nithumigah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
RyanC_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nithumigah)
Thank you this is perfect
Ztormie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by itwasmebb)
Hello!! Firstly, congratulations of your result!!!!!! If you don't mind, I have some questions as I want to achieve a good result like yours!!! To clarify, did you just use practices questions and case study flashcards? x How did you learn the content to do the practice questions? :O Also, when did you start revising for geography???? D:
hannahwrighttx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm too late to help you butI'm going to reply just in case anyone else is browsing this forum. The best thing I did to revise geography was create A3 mind maps for the key info/theories/processes for each topic and another one for the case studies for each topic. Divide the topic up into smaller sections and write down the key facts and ideas. This is great for seeing what you do/don't know, accompanying your longer notes and for a quick read over before the exam
hasnat614
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey please check out this link, it will definitely help you in Geography. Tell your teacher to go further!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6299512
I would appreciate if you let your friends know too.
Thanks.

Well, these helped me get a 9, so consider it
Last edited by hasnat614; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (252)
34.01%
No (489)
65.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed