GCSE Sociology question! Help... Watch

The Nightingale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
With this question:

It has often been claimed that a high value is placed on human life in Western society. Describe three norms which direct behaviour in terms of this value [three marks]

What do they mean here when they say 'human life'? Do they mean such values as privacy and freedom of speech? Or are they referring to such things as IVF treatment being widespread etc.?

Thanks
LaRma-lee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think in this instance, human life refers to humans in general. It mentions western society too, so i'd imagine its talking about liberal ideology; which means the questions trying to ask you about liberal "norms" that basically exist, literally what we would see as common sense.

i'm taking sociology at uni, so hopefully thats a little bit right
Mr Otter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a pretty broad question, especially for three marks.

I think the key is in the word "norms". Things such as "privacy of speech" and "freedom" are more like values.

So a norm showing high value of human life might be something like you said, the use of IVF being wide spread. Mabye, quite obviously, the norm that we shouldn't murder others.

Stuff like that I think.
Endocytosis
Report 10 years ago
Which unit is this for? Sounds more like an RE question... Do you do AQA or another board? Have just taken GCSE Soc. exams and I didn't ever encounter any questions like these...
The Nightingale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
It's AQA-- from a school textbook. The 'What is Sociology'? unit

It in relation to the section on Culture and Norms, in the section it talks about:

* How the value of privacy is translated into action (e.g. you can't open other people's mail). A person's house must not be entered without permission etc.

* How norms guide behaviour. How there are norms of dress, which define the types of clothing according to sex, age group, social situations etc.

*Talks about how norms define acceptable behaviour, at a party or at work, in the classroom.

* How eating habits differ from country to country.

Then there is that question at the end of the section. Thus, one would assume that the answer would relate to the ideas discussed in the article.
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Nightingale)

Then there is that question at the end of the section. Thus, one would assume that the answer would relate to the ideas discussed in the article.

sounds right to me. base your answer on the information given!
Endocytosis
Report 10 years ago
I would say Westerners eating meat is one of the norms (human life more important than other animals') because of the 'eating habit' section.

Also...I suppose wearing clothes could be an example of placing value on human life, and also possibly privacy (human life important enough to entitle us to this)?

Hope this is helpful...I have never seen any questions of this style in the exam papers though, so I wouldn't worry about not being completely confident of the answers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.79%
No - but I will (87)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.73%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (540)
47.79%

Watched Threads