sebhorreic dermatitis scalp now face Watch

helpimlost
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My scalp has always been great. Haven't switched shampoos. I now have sebhorreic dermatitis since January. I'm miserable. The only thing I feel like has changed is my health. I feel tired all the time. Ivery taken a blood test last week and I know my immune system is very low. Do u think this will pass with supplements. I have faith and know that something wrong in my body has caused this. Ihave been researching for months and I know the internet is full of ****e. Do you think low very low vitamin D can cause this. It's one or the other.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you have seborrheic dermatitis, it will not go away with taking supplements - it is your body's reaction to a fungus living on your skin. The only thing that's worked for me is an anti fungal shampoo (Nizoral) - usually starts to clear up the scaliness/redness after 2-3 washes. You can put it on your face as well when you are washing your hair (just make sure it doesn't go in your eye). You can buy it over the counter but I would suggest seeing your GP just in case there is something else causing the symptoms.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by helpimlost)
My scalp has always been great. Haven't switched shampoos. I now have sebhorreic dermatitis since January. I'm miserable. The only thing I feel like has changed is my health. I feel tired all the time. Ivery taken a blood test last week and I know my immune system is very low. Do u think this will pass with supplements. I have faith and know that something wrong in my body has caused this. Ihave been researching for months and I know the internet is full of ****e. Do you think low very low vitamin D can cause this. It's one or the other.
black tea gives you a good answer there. Ketoconazole is an antifungal medication found in products like Nizoral - this is usually fairly effective. Give it a go.
helpimlost
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
If you have seborrheic dermatitis, it will not go away with taking supplements - it is your body's reaction to a fungus living on your skin. The only thing that's worked for me is an anti fungal shampoo (Nizoral) - usually starts to clear up the scaliness/redness after 2-3 washes. You can put it on your face as well when you are washing your hair (just make sure it doesn't go in your eye). You can buy it over the counter but I would suggest seeing your GP just in case there is something else causing the symptoms.
thank you I'll try it but did it go away like cure it. And also for me I have no scaliness or redness. It's just so oily and I don't want to get into detail lol but I know it's SB. apparently from my friend's experience she had VD supplements 1000IU-5000 and after 3 months it disappeared so I'll be trying both xxxx
helpimlost
Rep:
?
also yes I've taken a blood test and hopefully there's an underlying issue. Just waiting for the results xxx
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thank you I'll try it but did it go away like cure it. And also for me I have no scaliness or redness. It's just so oily and I don't want to get into detail lol but I know it's SB. apparently from my friend's experience she had VD supplements 1000IU-5000 and after 3 months it disappeared so I'll be trying both xxxx
It's not really a curable condition. I get flare ups in the winter but they clear up after a few washes with anti fungal shampoo. You are supposed to use it regularly (like once every couple of weeks) to prevent flare ups but I forget.

And I take vitamin D supplements regularly anyway.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago

sebhorreic dermatitis is caused by a fungus. apply anti fungals like tea tree oil and it will improve a little but you need to get to the root of the issue in order for it to stop. I have had it on and off for around 15 years now so I know what i'm talking about. It is not often a problem for me anymore once I realised the main trigger. SUGAR.

Yes, what few people know is that sugar feeds the fungus and your body having an imporper reaction to these fungus's results in the the SD.

Go on a low sugar diet and I guarantee your sebhorreic dermatitus will clear up. The only time i get it now is when I get sloppy with my diet. I rarely get it now, but when i do i just stay off sugar and it will completely clear up in 4 weeks to 3 months depending how bad it is.

I hope will you will take heed of this posts and try a low sugar diet for at least 2 or 3 months. it will be hard but the results will be worth it. You must scrutinise everything you put in your mouth. sugar is everywhere...........

ps: btw you MUST give up alcohol completely. It is one of the worst triggers for SD. Worst than sugar.
Stay off anything with bakers yeasts as well. that triggers SD too
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I no longer even bother with anti fungals. if I break out with SD that tells me I am consuming too much sugar or stuff with bakers yeast in it. and after stricting up my diet again and cutting these things out the SD goes away.
easybullet3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i'm hoping you get a chance to read all of the info below:
(i separated it into sections)

try eating more greens and eat less meat, animal products, fish and junk food. (ie: eat more of what you think a healthy vegan would eat). you need to sort out your low immune system. you are young so imagine how it would feel with a low immune system when you are 60 or 70 years old!
basically, you need to sort out your daily food that goes in your mouth.
quit sugar drinks, quit fried food, eat healthy. (especially greens, vegetables and fruits. have some walnuts here and there). get some B12 and Vitamin D supplements. you may also want to buy some flax-seed powder for your omega-3.

drink water as your regular drink. and quit coffee and tea and fizzy drinks or box juices if you are addicted to them.

that will sort out your INSIDE.

Now for your OUTSIDE (skin and scalp):

Did you know that Oats are great for your skin. (ie: porridge oats).
Get an old jam jar or something with a large lid and fill it 20% with Oats and 80% water. (hopefully clean or bottle water).
close lid and shake it around for a short while.
leave it for 20 or 30 mins (or even all night).. and then give another shake.
over another container or bottle, use a sieve to filter out the oats.
Throw away the oats and keep the water.

This water is Oat Water. it is AMAZING for skin.
it gets rid of spots, blemishes and it is great for all kinds of skin conditions.

(store it in the fridge)
it keeps for about a week in the fridge.

at night, before bed, (over a sink), pour a bit of the oat water in your hands and rub it all over your face or arms or wherever the skin problems are.
You can also use it in your hair to soothe your skin. dont wash it out. Leave it on your skin over-night.

always rinse it off in the morning coz it leaves white patches of oat minerals on your face.

you probably dont have litmus paper to test the PH of your shampoo, but I bet it is alkaline.
Your skin and scalp should be at about 5.5 PH (which is slightly acidic).
There is this cheap(ish) brand of 'body wash' in boots called AVEENO. they have many products, but I wanna draw your attention to this one:
Aveeno Daily Moisturising BODY WASH. (500ml). its about 7 quid and should last you for a while.
its basically a body wash that contains Oat Water and a few other things. and you can totally use this as shampoo.
I know it is not called shampoo, but trust me, it does a fantastic job as shampoo.
stop using conditioner for a while and just use the Aveeno on your hair. I'm sure it will help to soothe your scalp

Feel free to use it as facewash too, as I am sure it will be better than what you are currently using (unless of course you are already using a good facewash).

but still do put the home-made Oat-Water on your face and affected areas each night before bed.

If you do follow all or any of my advice, then pleeeeeease please give me some feedback on how it went (in a few weeks time).

ps: i'm not kidding about the eating habits (above).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (188)
19.07%
Labour (423)
42.9%
Liberal Democrats (191)
19.37%
Green Party (53)
5.38%
Brexit Party (26)
2.64%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.41%
SNP (12)
1.22%
Plaid Cymru (10)
1.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.2%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (2)