frostedomq
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What’s the best way to structure a 16 marker in AQA A Level Psychology? I have a rough idea of including A01, A02 and A03, but it isn’t smoothly written because I don’t have a good structure to follow.
Last edited by frostedomq; 4 months ago
idkanyusername
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah I need help with that too
meganbarnett
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by frostedomq)
What’s the best way to structure a 16 marker in AQA A Level Psychology? I have a rough idea of including A01, A02 and A03, but it isn’t smoothly written because I don’t have a good structure to follow.
The marks are broken down into 6 for A01 and 10 for A03 so essentially you'll need more evaluation than description. I structured mine using the PEEL method (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link).
Point - get across your main point for the paragraph - it should be one sentence summing up what your focus for the paragraph is e.g. 'the biological approach is based on the assumption that everything psychological is at first biological/physiological'
Evidence - this is where you use a study or method to support your point e.g. 'The biological approach uses concordance rates from twin, adoption and family studies to support the idea that everything psychological is at first physiological' (then you'd quote some studies/statistics that used twin studies etc and their results) This will be a little harder than the point as its a lot of information to condense down into a couple of sentences - just remember there's only 6 marks for description so be brief and just write key facts (results and key methodological features for example)
Explain/Evaluate - this will be the biggest part of the answer. You can choose to evaluate your point or your evidence (or both if you're a quick writer). E.g. you could say that to say everything psychological is at first physiological is reductionist and doesn't take other factors into account or is too focussed on nature and ignores environment. OR you could evaluate a study that you used in the first E - e.g. twin studies have notorious problems regarding sample size, there are not many twins who fill the criteria needed of experiment/study X, this undermines its validity and ability to be generalised to the population at large.
Link - The link can simply be a sentence referring back to the original question or offering another take on it - e.g. perhaps the diathesis stress model would be a better approach than the biological one, suggesting nature and nurture are more intertwined than this approach would suggest.
This is just what worked for me - you might find a better way to deal with 16 markers, everyone has their way of learning. My biggest advice would be to remember only 6 MARKS are for description - one of the biggest problems I used to have is over-explaining and losing marks on evaluation because I used up my time saying the twins were all redheads or some other useless fact I didn't need to write. I did my A-Levels in May/June 2019 and got an A* in psychology so if you have any other questions i'd be happy to help .
Good Luck on your exams!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (111)
28.17%
No (283)
71.83%

Watched Threads