The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ViolatedTreason
situations such as?

The example used before. If you are 16, and have a 15 year old girlfriend. Why would anyone get the police involved?
Reply 121
I underwent years of psychiatric help after enduring abuse from my stepfather. It was from age's 4-9. And those we the longest 5yrs of my life. He was put in prison in the US for 14yrs 10for CM and 4 for physical and mental abuse. He was in jail for 10yrs before he got probation. I don't expect other people to hate him for me. I am mostly afraid of him, And my mother and I moved away to the UK a year after he was in prison. They forced me to come back on the day he was released. Seeing him after 10yrs I can honestly say he hasn't changed, You can see it in his eyes. My psychi tells me that he has, And that Its my emotions telling me he hasn't because it "betrays" my mind. I didn't want him to die after he went to jail, I just wanted him to go away forever. He stands by the fact that the everything he did was under my own consent, And that I would have no long term mental damage. "Paedophile" is a strong word that puts people like my Step father and those recent people in the news who have commited crimes again. We think of the worst scum possible thanks to the media. Being attracted to children, Not teens, But children. Is wrong, We aren't animals we should compare ourselves to such. But we have more dignity than to allow people with criminl desires, destroy the imagination and happiness of a child for the sake of "hey, I was born that way. Not my fault." or those who say "What I had done to me I took out on others." Even at 4 and 5 I knew what was happening was wrong. No matter how he acted or tried to seem nice. His personality made him the "perfect" parent. Everyone loved him, really. You can't get a childs consent, No laws or not. Children can barely comprehend death and the world we live in much less and act like sex. Where I am in torn is what the punishment should be.. I mean why not life, Why not keep them away from everyone else. And to a persons question earlier. they stated that if they aren't paying for it how are they promoting it, Well if they know they have an audience they will work to please their fans. They make videos because the children will grow up, to which they will become bored with a mentally/sexually/physically abused teen, and go back to a fresh and innocent child. Thats what fuels them. I have moved forward in my life, Although I may never forget and many memories will haunt me. I have a new life, And I am happy. To be honest the worst memory I have had in years was just seeing him smile at me, After I hadn't seen him in years. He would have never been caught unless I got up the guts and overcame the embarassment and told someone or he had gotten caught. Suprisingly I was too scared to tell anyone, Because yeah I was one of the bribed kids, Bikes, puppies, movies and theme park trips. And he always made countless promises he was sorry and would never do it again, And that I would ruin his marriage and my Mother would be mad. He was caught trying to sell on of his "tapes" and thats the only reason. I am curiosu how people feel about that though, If I had never come out about it. And he never threatened my life, Do you think the 10y sentence was too steep? Oppions are welcome, I wont get mad. A lady in cambridge went toe to toe on me about it.
nolongerhearthemusic
Such as 2 teenagers similar in age having sex. It happens, a lot, and it's not wrong. If you think it's so wrong for anyone to have sex with a 15 year old, what about other things? Is it wrong to kiss them? Make out? Oral sex? Where do you draw the line?

anything that isnt allowed by law.. thats where the line should be drawn..
WelshBluebird
The example used before. If you are 16, and have a 15 year old girlfriend. Why would anyone get the police involved?

because some parents think like me, that it is still against the law, therefore shouldnt be allowed.
punktopia
Do you consider our touchy-feely friends to be the worst form of human life? Are they mentally ill? Should they be "cured" instead of punished? Or are current punishments too lenient?

Do you only really start hating the paedos once you get sprogged up? (The whole maternal thing...)

Is murder worse? What about genocide?

Paedophilia itself isn't abhorrent. In fact, it is very often the case that a person can't help being attracted to children. As has been said over and over in this thread, it is a sexual preference similar to a liking for BDSM, or a foot fetish. What is immoral (by most standards of morality) is someone acting upon their desires for youngsters.

Here, a second differentiation must be made. There is a vast difference between getting touchy-feely with a consenting 14/15 year old and raping a 5 year old. For the sake of this thread, I'll concentrate what I consider to be the most foul form of paedophilia - someone engaging in physical sexual activity with a child under the age of about 13. Of course, it is still deeply wrong to rape anyone over 13 but the point about active paedophilia is that underage people can't be considered to give informed consent, irrespective of their actual wants and desires. There is a grey area with regards to 13/14/15 year olds - can they give informed consent?

So, what do I think about someone who rapes an 8 year old? I think that if they do so in full knowledge that what they are doing is immoral and deeply distressing, painful and unfair to the child, then they have commited a horrific crime and should be dealt with as a criminal. I think that sexually abusing a child (not just a minor, remember that grey area) should face serious penalties and I think that raping a child should be dealt with the same way as murder. In fact, I think 'clear' cases of rape for *anyone* should be dealt with on this level, as sexual intercourse can lead to fatal diseases and pregnancy. It is one of the most damaging and intimate violations possible for a human being to experience.

Do I think sexual predators of this kind are 'ill'? Well, it depends. If they seem unaware of the consequences of their actions, I would say that they are not capable of understanding cause and effect or having empathy at a normal, functioning human level. This is a clear sign that someone 'isn't all there'. Basiclly, punishment is only useful to an individual if it has the potential to teach someone a lesson and prevent them commiting that crime again if they are released. If the objective is simply to take a dangerous individual out of society, then by all means lock them up, but there is absolutely no need to treat them badly or deny them an acceptable standard of living.

The next snare faced when thinking about this subject is determinism . . . how can someone be considered responsible for their actions if they could not have acted any other way? Yes, their desires seem foul. Yes, they did something deeply immoral. Yes, they may even understand what they have done and feel no remorse. However, if their creation and their actions while alive are simply the product of determinism then they can't be considered responsible as they could never have made the choice to act differently. Poor sods. It's even scarier when we consider that what is true for them would be true for us . . . we have no free will, eeek! Etc. Anyway, no-one has definitely proven determinism and thus it is safer for our sanity to carry on as if we have choices and to deal ruthlessly with those than make choices that are deeply detrimental to others.
ViolatedTreason
anything that isnt allowed by law.. thats where the line should be drawn..

Just actual sex then? How is that different from the other things listed? Do you think wanting to have sex with a 15 year old and wanting to make out with them is so different? You have to make the distinction between things that are morally wrong and things that are illegal. Something being illegal does not make it wrong in all situations.
Schmokie Dragon
As has been said over and over in this thread, it is a sexual preference similar to a liking for BDSM, or a foot fetish.

People into BDSM and people who have foot fetishes want to engage in something consensual. Paedophiles do not. They are entirely different.
its all to do with the cosequences involved.. actual sex can result in pregnancy, (which is the worst posible consequence of sex to males)
Reply 128
nolongerhearthemusic
People into BDSM and people who have foot fetishes want to engage in something consensual. Paedophiles do not. They are entirely different.

Child molesters
Airel
Child molesters

No. Paedophiles. Those attracted to children want to engage in non-consentual acts, whether or not they go through with it.
This thread should be ****ing locked. Children (such as the so called members) are not able to comment rationally or knowledgeably on such a complex subject, the moderators must be busy punishing the swear word filter by passers.
ViolatedTreason
its all to do with the cosequences involved.. actual sex can result in pregnancy, (which is the worst posible consequence of sex to males)

How does a risk of pregnancy make something morally wrong?
Reply 132
nolongerhearthemusic
No. Paedophiles. Those attracted to children want to engage in non-consentual acts, whether or not they go through with it.

Not all paedophiles want to have sex with children. Just because they're attraacted to it, doesn't mean they want to have sex with it. Some aren't paedophiles by choice.

Like you said, its an illness. Who chooses to become ill?
Reply 133
I hate the way people call it paedophilia when you're talking about teenagers under the age of 16. It's not. I'm not saying it's fine for a 40 year old to have sex with a 15 year old, I'm just saying it's no paedophilia and if you think it is you are wrong. It doesn't matter what the legal definition of a child is because as far as I know, paedophilia is not a legally defined term. It's a psychological one.

Actually I'd like it if anyone could clear this up once and for all. Is there any law that actually uses the word 'paedophilia' anywhere in it's definition? I'm willing to bet there isn't. Yes the law says having sex with someone under 16 is illegal, but the law doesn't say the perpetrator is a paedophile.
Airel
Not all paedophiles want to have sex with children. Just because they're attraacted to it, doesn't mean they want to have sex with it.

That is what sexually attracted means. If they like children in a non-sexual way, they are not paedophiles.

Airel
Some aren't paedophiles by choice.

Well no. I don't think any of them are.

Airel
Like you said, its an illness. Who chooses to become ill?

I'm not saying they are choosing it, I believe they are ill.
Psyk
Actually I'd like it if anyone could clear this up once and for all. Is there any law that actually uses the word 'paedophilia' anywhere in it's definition? I'm willing to bet there isn't. Yes the law says having sex with someone under 16 is illegal, but the law doesn't say the perpetrator is a paedophile.

I think you're right actually. I think the 'children under 13' thing is psychologically, not legally.
Reply 136
The one who posted asked if the punishments were to lenient, He is talking about the ones who act on their urges, Otherwise there wouldn't be punishment. Read before you post.
Reply 137
A wiki quote:
[11][5] In law enforcement, the term "pedophile" is generally used to describe those accused or convicted of child sexual abuse under sociolegal definitions of child (including both prepubescent children and adolescents younger than the local age of consent);[12] as can be seen for example in the name of the United Kingdom police agency, the Paedophile Unit. Some researchers have described this usage as improper and suggested it can confound two separate types of offenders, child molesters and rapists, thereby obscuring results of ongoing research.[2][12]
punktopia
Do you consider our touchy-feely friends to be the worst form of human life? Are they mentally ill? Should they be "cured" instead of punished? Or are current punishments too lenient?

Do you only really start hating the paedos once you get sprogged up? (The whole maternal thing...)

Is murder worse? What about genocide?

No it's not the vic is dead therefore suffering over

Totally wrong, but different there is no worse or better

I think that the punishment should fit the crime and so they should suffer too so death is too good for them as they will be free.... obviously they have no fear or they would not do it and so they wont lose any sleep over being sentenced to death

I must leave as this gets me wound up and I can feel my soapbox a calling
Reply 139
Darkeyes28

I must leave as this gets me wound up and I can feel my soapbox a calling

Same. Chances are, you know a paedophile, everyone. I remember reading a relevant quote somewhere. It would have more impact if I could remember it.

Latest

Trending

Trending