The Student Room Group

A Little Help Needed

So I'm 18 and female. I'm 160.5cm and 46kg, which means I am considered underweight. I have tried for years to put on weight and no matter how much I eat or how many diet and fitness plans I do through personal trainers and by myself, I can't seem to put on weight, which makes it so so difficult to build muscle. any advise?

EDIT: I have visited doctors and hospitals, but their advice has not helped over the past few years
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’m the absolute opposite and I find it impossible to lose weight. Are you very active? Maybe dodo a bit less and you might gain some weight
Reply 2
Original post by chloe_courtney
So I'm 18 and female. I'm 160.5cm and 46kg, which means I am considered underweight. I have tried for years to put on weight and no matter how much I eat or how many diet and fitness plans I do through personal trainers and by myself, I can't seem to put on weight, which makes it so so difficult to build muscle. any advise?

your weight is fine. i'm taller than you, similar weight, and i look perfect. why do you want to gain weight? don't listen to the fat positivity movement thing.
Original post by Ciel.
your weight is fine. i'm taller than you, similar weight, and i look perfect. why do you want to gain weight? don't listen to the fat positivity movement thing.

Through the NHS guidelines I am underweight. It has been affecting my mobility as it was caused problems in my knees and back. Saying that I want to put on weight doesn't mean loads and as mentioned I want to do it through building muscle. I just want to feel a healthy weight, build a bit of muscle and it'll help with my mobility 😂 Nothing to do with whatever "fat positivity movement" you're on about 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by parkerxo
I’m the absolute opposite and I find it impossible to lose weight. Are you very active? Maybe dodo a bit less and you might gain some weight

I used to be quite active then started to slow down a lot after losing weight. But it won't stop. So building muscle I thought would be a good way to try and put on some weight
Reply 5
Through the NHS guidelines I am underweight. It has been affecting my mobility as it was caused problems in my knees and back. Saying that I want to put on weight doesn't mean loads and as mentioned I want to do it through building muscle. I just want to feel a healthy weight, build a bit of muscle and it'll help with my mobility 😂 Nothing to do with whatever "fat positivity movement" you're on about 😂

nhs guidelines are only guidelines. they are not exactly accurate. most models are underweight, too. it's possible to be underweight and healthy. but do what you want. it's your body. it's just a bit sad that you want to ruin it, lol
Original post by Ciel.
nhs guidelines are only guidelines. they are not exactly accurate. most models are underweight, too. it's possible to be underweight and healthy. but do what you want. it's your body. it's just a bit sad that you want to ruin it, lol

I mean I've been to plenty of doctors who have mentioned that I do need to out on a few kilo to help my mobility. I'm not "ruining my body" at all by putting on weight. if anything I'm helping it. There is honestly no need for you to be negative towards someone who wants to out on a bit of weight to feel comfortable not only in their own skin but to literally reduce pain.
Reply 7
I mean I've been to plenty of doctors who have mentioned that I do need to out on a few kilo to help my mobility. I'm not "ruining my body" at all by putting on weight. if anything I'm helping it. There is honestly no need for you to be negative towards someone who wants to out on a bit of weight to feel comfortable not only in their own skin but to literally reduce pain.

yeah, that's what they always say when they don't know what's wrong. "oooh it's because you're underweight boyy". if you are skinny, they'll always try to use that against you, it's ridiculous. they are probably just jealous, because most of them are fat af. i'm not being negative, i'm just being realistic.
Original post by Ciel.
yeah, that's what they always say when they don't know what's wrong. "oooh it's because you're underweight boyy". if you are skinny, they'll always try to use that against you, it's ridiculous. they are probably just jealous, because most of them are fat af. i'm not being negative, i'm just being realistic.

Thank you for your opinion, but I honestly feel that you're shaming me for wanting to put on weight. as I mentioned before it will help my mobility and make me healthier. You're trying to put me down for wanting to put on weight for no reason whatsoever
Reply 9
Thank you for your opinion, but I honestly feel that you're shaming me for wanting to put on weight. as I mentioned before it will help my mobility and make me healthier. You're trying to put me down for wanting to put on weight for no reason whatsoever

you're too sensitive. i wasn't shaming you. i was just pointing out that skinny bodies are beautiful, too. because nowadays they're often portrayed as less desirable by the media, because of the whole kim k's curves craze.
Original post by Ciel.
you're too sensitive. i wasn't shaming you. i was just pointing out that skinny bodies are beautiful, too. because nowadays they're often portrayed as less desirable by the media, because of the whole kim k's curves craze.

I'm not sensitive at all. I don't want huge curves. I like my slim body. All I mentioned was that I wanted to put on a bit of weight, not a lot, but a bit, to help with my general health and mobility. You started mentioning the "fat positivity" but I want to be a slightly more healthy weight. Never wanted a Kim K body at all. Just a bit more weight and muscle.
Reply 11
I'm not sensitive at all. I don't want huge curves. I like my slim body. All I mentioned was that I wanted to put on a bit of weight, not a lot, but a bit, to help with my general health and mobility. You started mentioning the "fat positivity" but I want to be a slightly more healthy weight. Never wanted a Kim K body at all. Just a bit more weight and muscle.

ehh. well there are a lot of videos on ytube if you use the right keywords, like girls struggling with weight gain etc. some are from skinny girls too, not just like crazy bodybuilders.
Original post by Ciel.
ehh. well there are a lot of videos on ytube if you use the right keywords, like girls struggling with weight gain etc. some are from skinny girls too, not just like crazy bodybuilders.

Don't want to body build either. Just a little muscle. I've tried YouTube, doctors, personal trainer etc, just haven't worked so came to another source to find what might've worked for others.
Reply 13
Don't want to body build either. Just a little muscle. I've tried YouTube, doctors, personal trainer etc, just haven't worked so came to another source to find what might've worked for others.

ah. might be just your metabolism then.
Original post by Ciel.
ah. might be just your metabolism then.

Took it down to that. which is why I asked for a bit of advice maybe from people who have been through the same thibg
Reply 15
Took it down to that. which is why I asked for a bit of advice maybe from people who have been through the same thibg

have you ever like calculated your average daily calorie intake?
Original post by Ciel.
have you ever like calculated your average daily calorie intake?

I have in the past. Don't feel comfortable doing it any more makes me feel like I'm eating too much 😂😂
Reply 17
I have in the past. Don't feel comfortable doing it any more makes me feel like I'm eating too much 😂😂

lmao, but you have to if you really want to gain weight. you'll never gain weight if you eat fewer calories than you burn.
Original post by Ciel.
lmao, but you have to if you really want to gain weight. you'll never gain weight if you eat fewer calories than you burn.

I eat alot more than I did when I counted them. trust me
Reply 19
I eat alot more than I did when I counted them. trust me

might still not be enough. idk, but i don't think anyone will be able to help you without at least that basic info.

Quick Reply

Latest