Stockton Campus - your views? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Toxic Tears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, I want to study biology/biological sciences and it appears at Durham, the only place to study it is at the Stockton campus. Looking at previous posts it appears that stockton has a bad rep and I don't understand why? :confused: Can someone tell me more about the stockton campus like how it compares to the main Durham campus, the nightlife, atmosphere etc. Especially would like to hear about current/ previous stockton students
adam_1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't been to the campus or anything but I live about 5 minutes away from Stockton. It's quite small in comparison with Durham, but it's got Middlesbrough and other places around it which have some decent clubs and stuff. Wouldn't say it was the most exciting city to be in though, there's some nutters around too. :rolleyes:
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, you're probably not going to get a helpful opinion from Durham students whose courses are based in Durham city, rather than Stockton. This is because (as far as I can tell) most of us don't really think of Stockton as being part of Durham as we know it. The Stockton campus is in reality quite separate from the Durham city site, and you've got to go and visit it (maybe try and attend an open day) and make a decision as to whether you like it.
NathanL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i live in stockton. the non-urban areas are quite nice, and it's very close to rural areas and beautiful scenery, dotted around the north east. however the university campuses (both of teesside and the durham extension) are pretty much right in the middle of the town. and the town is horrible. one of the worst high streets in the country, i think, only matched by middlesbrough in grossness. the nightlife is peppered by rather yobbish 'townies', to use a prejudicial term, although the teesside retail park is a decent source of entertaining (quite a good, albeit expensive, cinema).

the northeast, and teesside as a whole, are beautiful places to live and i certainly don't despise my heritage. but if you choose to stay in stockton as a student, be prepared - it ain't no ritz.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's snobbery, basically.

Part of the problem is that Stockton is still fairly new (1992) and at the centre of Durham's widening participation prgramme. Entry requiremets were far lower than for Durham itself (and still are, to a lesser extent).

Stockton itself isn't a bad town, it's quite decent really. Part of the problem is that it's Teesside (close to Middlesbrough). Middlesbrough is, arguably, a dump. I must emphasis that Stockton itself isn't a dump. It is still only a town (quite a traditional market town, in some respects) and it's close to some great countryside. A lot of modern re-development has taken place in the town centre (incuding a new shopping arcade). Such areas may feel a little sterile to some. Being a town it also doesn't have a massive range of clubs (but then Durham can't claim to be well off in this area either).

Then you have Durham which is historical and picturesque. You get the feeling of tradition there which you don't at Stockton. Although Durham doesn't offer a great deal of clubs it offers a great variety of college bars (remember there are only two colleges at Stockton). Durham's also not as far away from larger cities. Although Durham isn't "just down the road from Newcastle" (being 25 miles away and in another county) it is on the east coast mainline making Tyneside far more accesible (Durham to Newcastle 12 minutes by train, Stockton to Newcastle 2 hours by bus - through three counties)

So really I think the main problems with Stockton are: -

1. It's not Durham (an unfair compaison)
2. Snobbery - being on Teesside and the campus' history
3. Some would argue that it feels a little isolated from the main university and larger cities.

No one can really accurately describe the atmosphere of a university and this is particularly true when it comes to a campus a fair distance away from the main uni. I think when it comes to Stockton you really need to visit.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by adam_1234)
I haven't been to the campus or anything but I live about 5 minutes away from Stockton. It's quite small in comparison with Durham, but it's got Middlesbrough and other places around it which have some decent clubs and stuff. Wouldn't say it was the most exciting city to be in though, there's some nutters around too. :rolleyes:
Because it's not a city! :p:
NathanL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(FYI, i'm 'qualified' to talk about this both as a stocktoner, born and bred, AND a durham student )

[although my campus is in durham city itself. next to the cathedral infact.]
NathanL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh and it has to be said, Durham student life really isn't all its cracked up to be either, in my opinion. If I see one more bleach-haired, well-to-do, Ugg wearing socialite, or another toff with his collar up, I think I might scream! As a local, I long for the time when the students go home - they're like rats...

Hah. now that IS snobbery :p:
pikaboo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can study Biology at the Durham campus...I have friends who are! :confused:
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NathanL)
Oh and it has to be said, Durham student life really isn't all its cracked up to be either, in my opinion. If I see one more bleach-haired, well-to-do, Ugg wearing socialite, or another toff with his collar up, I think I might scream! As a local, I long for the time when the students go home - they're like rats...

Hah. now that IS snobbery :p:
Oh, yah, Inverted snobbery. So, am I a rat then? I'm not a rah and live only 20 miles from Durham?

Anyhoo, I don't think anyone has every made the claim the Durham's clubbing scene is up to much (apart from rahs). The only other thing it has is being one of the top unis for sport participation. If that's not what you're into you're starting to run out of options....:p:
pikaboo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love Durham's clubbing scene

Then again I'm not too fond of the usual big city, chav-infested clubs that seem to be all dance-music orientated...Durham's scene is pretty unique, at least :p:
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
You can study Biology at the Durham campus...I have friends who are! :confused:
Biology, Ecology, Zoology yes

http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo...&deptCode=BIOL

Biomedical sciences - Stockton

http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo...&deptCode=BISS

You've got to keep in mind, OP, that Durham attracts a very middle class (singicantly private school) intake who are attracted to Durham for a number of reasons. Yes, it's a great uni but you can't deny that its historical nature and pretiness isn't a factor. A number will quite naturally look down on a part of the university that isn't in the city, near to a quite unfashionable part of the country.
NathanL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, yah, Inverted snobbery. So, am I a rat then? I'm not a rah and live only 20 miles from Durham?
Hah, no, I'll let you off. :p: Having studied at two very different university settings, though (Chester and Durham), I was absolutely hit by the sheer number of students that constantly wander Durham's streets during term time. It's like being hit by a wall of students. I brought my girlfriend to visit a few months back, she also studies at chester - she rather accurately likened it to chester's entire student populous being out on the streets all at the same time, all the time.

Perhaps it's relative, but I dont know how it doesn't make the Durham citizens go insane. A constant stream of students. I only 'feel' Durham to be truly Durham when I'm not having to circumnavigate crowds of them while trying to get to Saddlers! It really does make a difference, beyond the jesting! It's why being a 12 month postgrad has been fun - granted, i've had about 7-8 months of student saturation, but the remaining four months have combined study with a comparatively empty city.
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Closing this thread as I can forsee it getting out of hand and there are plenty of other threads on this topic if you do a search.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Mon, 1 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • Durham University
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads