Learning to sing. Watch

Mittalmar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi people I want to learn to sing (school musical next year). How should I go about this? I've heard it takes a while to train your voice properly so I would like to devote some time to my vocals! Do I require classical vocal training? Or would one be able to my teach myself and if so could anyone reccomend any sought of self teaching book/course. I might add that I am an adolescent male with a mediocre voice with a middlish vocal range (not to low, not to high)
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
everybody knows how to sing.
just need to refine it.
i don't think you'd need classical training at all.
go to a choir, your school has music teachers so ask them.
where in london are you from? there are some briliant music schools around me (watford)
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i recommend getting one to one private tuition, at least to start off with. I say this coz when i started singing i was straining my voice, so by getting initial lessons you'll at least learn to sing safely.

I personally found classical training unecessary as i want to sing pop music so no, if you don't fancy being classically trained, don't feel you have to as there are teachers out there who teach popular and musical vocals even though there are probably many more who can classically train you

good luck
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would recommend getting at least a lesson every once in a while, as you will need to learn to sing from your diaphragm rather than from your throat. Not doing this could result in bad habits at best and damage to your voice at worst. Join a choir too - your sight singing etc will improve more quickly this way.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah, i agree, i was totally singing from my throat before i got lessons..all of a sudden, my throat doesn't hurt after singing...i even used to take a throat losenger post singing which is just plain wrong lol..deffo get lessons every now and then
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Worse than taking one post-singing is taking one PRE-singing - things like Strepsils numb your throat so you can't even feel if you're damaging/hurting your voice or not :/
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
eek, im glad i didn't do that...that hurts just thinking about it :O
moneyspills
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Another important aspect of all easy singing lessons is breathing. You might not realize how important breathing is to singing until you start to try it yourself. Have you ever wondered how those singers get those long deep notes out? It is all because of their breathing. You have to learn how to push the air out of your lungs. Breathing when you sing is much different from your typical inhale and exhale. You have to work on your diaphragm muscles, which if you have never sung before, could be pretty weak. Here's a video to help you sing better:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (43)
32.33%
No (68)
51.13%
Don't know (22)
16.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed