The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Aconite
When you're reading posts on here, do you involuntarily create a (probably totally inaccurate) mental picture of the person behind the username? This only applies if the person doesn't have a picture on their profile, fairly obviously.

I always seem to do this, particularly if it's someone who posts regularly.

Is it just me, or do you all do this too?

What do I look like?

Yup, I do too.
Reply 21
Glutamic Acid
Oh. I quite like that actually.

You know what? A suit featured in my imaginings, too.
I do that quite often, and then click on their profile picture...

and it's NEVER anything like I thought. I think I'll make an effort to make some conscious guesses before checking on their profile now, for fun :]
Aconite
You know what? A suit featured in my imaginings, too.

That's curious. I do feel rather formal at times.
Reply 24
fleur_de_haine
What do I look like?

You're blonde.
Reply 25
Glutamic Acid
That's curious. I do feel rather formal at times.

I imagine you with glasses, quite thin and surrounded by maths.
Absinth
I imagine you with glasses, quite thin and surrounded by maths.

No glasses. I'm thin, but not overly (underly?) so. And yep, I'm surrounding by maths.
Reply 27
2/3, not bad.
Aconite
You're blonde.

Tut tut, not even close!:eek:
I do this all the time!
Hello_Kitty
I always imagine people to be their avatar!

same
i think maybe i should change mine then though...
Reply 31
imtired
I do as well, i guess it makes it easier to communicate with somebody even if the image you make is nothing like them.

Do you think that's why it happens? Interesting. I'd never really considered why, I just sort of got on with it.

(How do you imagine me? If you do at all, that is.)
Reply 32
I sometimes wonder what the other posters look like too. There are a couple piccies of me on this site.....safely hidden away :biggrin:......I"m too ugly to be seen by everyone. :frown:
Reply 33
Its just the same as when you are reading a book, even when the characters aren't described in great detail, you start to formulate how you think they look in your mind.
Reply 34
Hello_Kitty

I am my avatar :star:
Nope, I don't do this.

But for the benefit of all of you, I look like a cross between Brad Pitt and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Reply 36
Aconite
Do you think that's why it happens? Interesting. I'd never really considered why, I just sort of got on with it.

(How do you imagine me? If you do at all, that is.)

Well it's definately not as weird as talking to somebody who could be anyone.

I'm thinking you're average size, wears baggy jeans and a tank top, glasses, black hair tied back, using a laptop on her bed, am i right??? lol

But i haven't spoken to you long enough, i realized the image develops more as you read somebody's posts.

This is what i mean:

Jamin
Its just the same as when you are reading a book, even when the characters aren't described in great detail, you start to formulate how you think they look in your mind.

Anyone want to do me?
I have a mental image of everyone here, based on posts, location, and nationality, its statistically proven to be 100% accurate
Reply 38
Hello_Kitty

Me too.
Reply 39
imtired
I'm thinking you're average size, wears baggy jeans and a tank top, glasses, black hair tied back, using a laptop on her bed, am i right??? lol

Not even close.

Now, as for you. I've got to admit that the Hitler stuff has affected my view of you; you do have black hair. That aside, you've got quite a sharp face and you're dressed smartly.

Latest

Trending

Trending