Whey Protein: useful for sports performance? Watch

graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey!

Silly question of course, but do many people take whey protein for sports performance improvement, or simply for bodybuilding purposes? I respect that bodybuilding can be regarded as a sport but I'm thinking about other physically-enduring sports. How many of you take whey protein as part of your sports training?? I feel like I have quite a protein deficit in my diet (in that I admittedly eat unhealthily, although I do a lot of exercise!) so do you think whey protein could be a wise purchase for someone like myself?

I know about the metabolic side of whey protein and its effects on the body, just I'm failing to contemplate whether it would actually provide a noticable improvement to my training! Thanks for any help, I'm not a sports physiologist by any means so you knowledgable lot would be ace to help us out :cool:
meathead1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you need more protein in your diet, shakes are a good way to get it. Dont depend on them though. What sports do you participate in?
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if your diet is rubbish there is no point in taking whey protein at all. Sort that before you getany supplementation. Whey is a Supplement to your diet.

My ultimate training goals are for sports and i use whey. There is no reason why you shouldnt just because you are an athlete. Creatine is also favoured by many athletes, although it depends what sport it is.
Olyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like bebbs said, a good diet is a must, before you start with supplements.
I train for sports (rugby), and use protein shakes to add extra protein to my diet to help this
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
No, as meathead alludes to it's a nutritional supplement and not a performance enhancer. Sort out your diet - protein is bloody easy to come by naturally - before you start replacing breakfast, lunch and dinner with shakes and tablets.
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
depends what sort of sport and what excercises. Protein has to be used in conjunction with a weights programme.

Rugby i would say its useful to use as its very physical and requires alot of strength. however long distance sports like 1500m, football etc i would not recommend it purely as putting on alot of muscle can have negative affects such as tiring. You dont see hench 1500m runners every day
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steve2006)
however long distance sports like 1500m, football etc i would not recommend it purely as putting on alot of muscle can have negative affects such as tiring. You dont see hench 1500m runners every day
Right firstly, protein isnt a wonder drug. It is used in the repair of muscles, every professional athlete puts their muscles under strain will need protein to repair them.
Why could too much muscle have negative effects? Long distance runners actually have muscles too, they have slow twitch fibres, which are smaller and lighter than fast twitch fibres. Hench why 100m runners are jacked.

I thought i should put a picture of roberto carlos to show that this guy has crazy big legs

Also check this page to see how many athletes from different disciplines use protein supplements (no hate for using maximuscle)

http://www.maximuscle.com/aboutus/whowesupport.html

Theres even an ultra distance runner in there

In summary, all athletes have muscles, therefore all athletes need protein, same as every one else. Although diet is the more important that supplements
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads