Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently an f2. I’m set on IMT and my location. However all my friends are taking f3s and I’m worried that I’m doing the wrong thing by wanting to apply. Obviously applications open next week but I don’t really see the point of taking a year out besides the locum rates.

Also my application is pretty weak. I’d score 22 on oriel which is just below average. I want to stay in a non competitive deanary and my only requirement is a haem job and hospitals commutable from the main city.

Do I stand a chance of getting a job I want? Or will I struggle being of all the f3s/f4s applying with better CVs?
Lightsparkles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think there’s such a culture of F2s not going into training that taking a F3 is now seen as a norm when it wasn’t 15 years ago.
I’d say apply for IMT if that’s something you want to do! People who take F3 years mostly do so to explore specialties/build up their CVs/take some time out. If you know you want to pursue IMT, then go for it!
You’ll be working at the grade of a SHO rotating through different medical specialties which is what a junior clinical fellow/F3 would do as well. You can always turn down a job offer by the deadline so no harm in applying.
fishfacesimpson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do what you want to do. There's nothing wrong with linear training and staying on the path to cct - especially if you know what you want to do.

Just keep a "year out" in the back of your mind though. Lots to be gained socially if you take some time off working but also medically if you get some different medical experience or research experience - if you want it. My only regret in medicine is not having some time out at some point purely to recharge batteries. The August - September/October break that many specialties have (? Had) between ct2 and st3 would've been brilliant but I didn't get it and I'm hindsight I wish I'd had some more downtime at some point (probably post membership and Cmt)
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m currently an f2. I’m set on IMT and my location. However all my friends are taking f3s and I’m worried that I’m doing the wrong thing by wanting to apply. Obviously applications open next week but I don’t really see the point of taking a year out besides the locum rates.

Also my application is pretty weak. I’d score 22 on oriel which is just below average. I want to stay in a non competitive deanary and my only requirement is a haem job and hospitals commutable from the main city.

Do I stand a chance of getting a job I want? Or will I struggle being of all the f3s/f4s applying with better CVs?
Not being sure whether you'll get in is a reason to apply now, not a reason to wait. Better to have two shots than one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads