liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm doing my coursework for A-Level and I'm thinking of settling for the Gothic genre. I need a variety of literature of course, so I'd like prose, drama and poetry. Though apparently it has to cover a range of periods, so it can't just be settled into the 19th century let's say.
Does anyone know any good Gothic poetry, prose and dramas? Thanks!
gingerbeers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I love Frankenstein, itd be an interesting one to look at as its Gothic, Romantic and sci-fi (arguably the first!)
I haven't read Northanger Abbey but it might be a cool one as its a pastiche of Gothic writing, and was written by Jane Austen, so it's a bit unusual.
frogglet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Great Expectations has some gothic elements but is probably not strictly a gothic novel, you could talk about why and why not it fits the gothic genre but maybe focus more on the other books. I would recommend the Picture of Dorian Grey as well. Castle of Otranto (thought to be first gothic novel) by Horace Walpole and The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe are 18th century gothic novels you might like, or you could look into other books those authors have written. I am not sure if Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey would be accepted -she sort of parodies Ann Radcliffe's gothic literature, she uses gothic tropes but overturns them. I would also recommend the short story Turn of the Screw by Henry James and short stories and poetry by Edgar Allen Poe (American writer of 19th century) like the Fall of House of Usher and the Tell-tale heart. Another poet known for gothic literature is Christina Rossetti. and def Frankenstein and wuthering heights I would recommend, they are 19th century novels.
gingerbeers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by frogglet)
Great Expectations has some gothic elements but is probably not strictly a gothic novel, you could talk about why and why not it fits the gothic genre but maybe focus more on the other books. I would recommend the Picture of Dorian Grey as well. Castle of Otranto (thought to be first gothic novel) by Horace Walpole and The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe are 18th century gothic novels you might like, or you could look into other books those authors have written. I am not sure if Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey would be accepted -she sort of parodies Ann Radcliffe's gothic literature, she uses gothic tropes but overturns them. I would also recommend the short story Turn of the Screw by Henry James and short stories and poetry by Edgar Allen Poe (American writer of 19th century) like the Fall of House of Usher and the Tell-tale heart. Another poet known for gothic literature is Christina Rossetti. and def Frankenstein and wuthering heights I would recommend, they are 19th century novels.
oh hell yeah, love a bit of poe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (42)
19.18%
Unconditional if firmed (18)
8.22%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.91%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.28%
No unconditional offers (152)
69.41%

Watched Threads