rawda_27
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am repeating my first year of biomedical science at Kingston University because I failed two modules. This is because I couldn’t focus on my exams due to serious family problems. Should I give up on applying for postgraduate medicine after graduation?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rawda_27)
I am repeating my first year of biomedical science at Kingston University because I failed two modules. Should I give up on applying for postgraduate medicine after graduation?
It depends on the circumstances of your failure. Note that Medicine (especially graduate entry medicine) is likely to be very intense - because it's essentially a 5 year course compressed into 4.

If it's because you have reasons (e.g. you were ill); then it may not be a problem when you enter GEM.

If it's because of your work ethic, or you have already tried your hardest; then perhaps it's best to reflect on whether Medicine is the right vocation for you.

Remember, finishing GEM is not the end of the road; there are going to be years of hard work as a junior (and senior) doctor too.
rawda_27
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
It depends on the circumstances of your failure. Note that Medicine (especially graduate entry medicine) is likely to be very intense - because it's essentially a 5 year course compressed into 4.

If it's because you have reasons (e.g. you were ill); then it may not be a problem when you enter GEM.

If it's because of your work ethic, or you have already tried your hardest; then perhaps it's best to reflect on whether Medicine is the right vocation for you.

Remember, finishing GEM is not the end of the road; there are going to be years of hard work as a junior (and senior) doctor too.
Thanks for the reply. Would family problems not be a good enough reason to apply for GEM?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rawda_27)
Thanks for the reply. Would family problems not be a good enough reason to apply for GEM?
I am not talking about applying for GEM, I thought you are asking whether you will cope with the course - I haven't read your OP properly!

Most GEM med schools only ask for 1st or 2:1 degree classification (along with other things like UCAT / GAMSAT / A-Levels etc.); I don't know if resitting any year will affect things. Here are the entry requirements (page 50 onwards): https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
rawda_27
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
I am not talking about applying for GEM, I thought you are asking whether you will cope with the course - I haven't read your OP properly!

Most GEM med schools only ask for 1st or 2:1 degree classification (along with other things like UCAT / GAMSAT / A-Levels etc.); I don't know if resitting any year will affect things. Here are the entry requirements (page 50 onwards): https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Thank you so much!
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Some GEM courses require that you completed your undergrad in a normal length of time (e.g. Queen Mary). They will usually look at mitigating circumstances, you just need to make sure you get in touch with admissions well before the application deadline to see if they will accept your application.

Other universities don't care as long as you achieve a 2.1. or above. Make sure you read all the criteria carefully when you come to deciding where to apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (130)
66.33%
No (44)
22.45%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.22%

Watched Threads