The Student Room Group

Which A Levels should I choose?

Hi, I'm currently in Y11 but my school is already making us think about which A Levels we want to take. We have to fill in a form by Monday, and I have no idea!!

Im stuck between pursuing econ or medicine at uni, and i want to take subjects which let me postpone the decision longer. Which combo sounds better?
(if i were to go for econ, id want to go to a top uni whereas i dont mind the rank for medicine)

COMBO 1 : Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Bio
COMBO 2: Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Econ
COMBO 3 : Maths, Chem, Bio, Econ
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kho8
Hi, I'm currently in Y11 but my school is already making us think about which A Levels we want to take. We have to fill in a form by Monday, and I have no idea!!

Im stuck between pursuing econ or medicine at uni, and i want to take subjects which let me postpone the decision longer. Which combo sounds better?
(if i were to go for econ, id want to go to a top uni whereas i dont mind the rank for medicine)

Agree with the point above - you sound wonderfully well informed,

How strong are you at your subjects and in particular at maths?
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Agree with the point above - you sound wonderfully well informed,

How strong are you at your subjects and in particular at maths?

Thanks! I'd say that chemistry, econs & maths are my three strongest subjects at GCSE.
I'm quite confident with maths: I really enjoy it. I take Additional Maths @ GCSE, averaging around 86% which I think is an A.
If you're considering either Medicine or a degree in Maths/Econ/something similar, definitely take option 1. No question about it. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by kho8
Thanks! I'd say that chemistry, econs & maths are my three strongest subjects at GCSE.
I'm quite confident with maths: I really enjoy it. I take Additional Maths @ GCSE, averaging around 86% which I think is an A.

You sound very good!

They way I would think about it (and I would post thoughts on this board to get feedback from others):

Combo 2 pretty much out for me. Limits applications for medicine far too much for comfort, plus I'm not convinced that Chem + maths leaves as many doors open for other STEM courses as I would like,

Combo 1 - looks great. You can drop FM should you wish after a year or so if aiming at medicine which being a strong candidate for economics and economics related courses. M + FM probably less time consuming that most other 2 A levels combined and should mean you are very well prepared for maths A level where you would need a strong grade for medicine.

Combo 3 - also looks good. You might be well advised to drop a subject before A levels to give yourself the best chance of 3 top grades - which you could do when you see how your A levels are going.

if in doubt check your schools scores in the different courses. You want to be doing courses where lots of people get A's.
Reply 6
I don't know what A levels to pick Ill be honest pick biology and chemistry and maths for sure, but also if you want to pick up another a levels you can decide between econ or fm

I am stuck between science and social sciences , I don't know what I really like. I need help myself
Reply 7
Original post by YEezzy
I don't know what A levels to pick Ill be honest pick biology and chemistry and maths for sure, but also if you want to pick up another a levels you can decide between econ or fm

I am stuck between science and social sciences , I don't know what I really like. I need help myself

which subjects do you like? What might you want to do in the future?
I'm in the exact same situation as you! I'm currently in Year 12 & I decided to go with chemistry, economics, mathematics & further mathematics.
This is because top universities for economics prefer you have further mathematics, and universities like LSE state that if you do further mathematics (and maths), they'd prefer for your third subject to be essay-based (in your case, economics). Therefore, if you decide you want to go to LSE & do economics, you can just drop chem. Also, quite a lot of universities are willing to accept you to medicine without having biology; maths & chem are good enough. Examples of such universities include Manchester, Edinburgh, Oxbridge, Newcastle etc.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
which subjects do you like? What might you want to do in the future?

To be honest I don't know anymore like I like sciences and social sciences but they differ from liking it time to time, Like today I loved physics but I find it boring and sometimes I feel like I am forcing myself to like it, then Sociology I like it and find it interesting but it is very constricting and I dont know to be honest.

I like psychology socilogy chemnoistyr maths , so listtle bit of everything but I don't know what I am genuinely passionate about like I like social science but Science are so cool but have I been conditioned to like it I don't know .

I don't know what my passion is and what I shall do in the future.

I really want to take sciences and i do really like it/ love sometimes and it does come easy to me if I work for it but social sciences come easy to me and I do like it but I find it like a hobby but I don't know anymore

I don't know awaht to pick or what I enjoy, I like cience and socila science but I dont' know where my genuine interest lies also why I am doing it, sciecne am I doing it because I think its expected of me when it isnt and i feel like im forcing myself to liek it but Im not i dont know what I am doing
Original post by YEezzy
To be honest I don't know anymore like I like sciences and social sciences but they differ from liking it time to time, Like today I loved physics but I find it boring and sometimes I feel like I am forcing myself to like it, then Sociology I like it and find it interesting but it is very constricting and I dont know to be honest.

I like psychology socilogy chemnoistyr maths , so listtle bit of everything but I don't know what I am genuinely passionate about like I like social science but Science are so cool but have I been conditioned to like it I don't know .

I don't know what my passion is and what I shall do in the future.

I really want to take sciences and i do really like it/ love sometimes and it does come easy to me if I work for it but social sciences come easy to me and I do like it but I find it like a hobby but I don't know anymore

I don't know awaht to pick or what I enjoy, I like cience and socila science but I dont' know where my genuine interest lies also why I am doing it, sciecne am I doing it because I think its expected of me when it isnt and i feel like im forcing myself to liek it but Im not i dont know what I am doing

That’s good - you are a rounded person with loads of options. How good are you at maths? What grades are you getting?
Reply 11
I am fairly good, I've got in the range of As and A*s and some B's
Original post by YEezzy
I am fairly good, I've got in the range of As and A*s and some B's

So maths A level is an option. Perhaps consider maths, chemistry and sociology if thats what you enjoy. You keep lots of options open.

By the way - I'd be careful when people tell you to look for your 'passion'. Most people never have one and most of them are perfectly fine with it. Some people are passionate about a subject but find it really boring doing what was their hobby as a full time field of study. If you hit lucky and have something you are naturally taken with thats great - but in general its better to chose things you like a bit and commit to sticking out the course with a but of enthusiasm.
Option 1
Original post by kho8

I’d say either option 1 or option 3.

These options both open doors for economics or medicine whichever you decide. However if you are slightly leaning towards econ then I’d say option 3 as choosing the subject shows the top unis that you’re passionate and interested in furthering your knowledge in the subject.
Reply 15
Original post by ajj2000
So maths A level is an option. Perhaps consider maths, chemistry and sociology if thats what you enjoy. You keep lots of options open.

By the way - I'd be careful when people tell you to look for your 'passion'. Most people never have one and most of them are perfectly fine with it. Some people are passionate about a subject but find it really boring doing what was their hobby as a full time field of study. If you hit lucky and have something you are naturally taken with thats great - but in general its better to chose things you like a bit and commit to sticking out the course with a but of enthusiasm.

Like my passion or subject liking are interchangeable, I don't know what it is... Like I love my subjects but recently I have been finding science loving or boring not consistent and I haven't really done social sciences... Tbh I don't know how to figure it out
when you mean some people find doing their hobby as a subject boring, wdym, I just don't know

Original post by ajj2000

Original post by YEezzy
when you mean some people find doing their hobby as a subject boring, wdym, I just don't know

this thread is two years old so please don't bump it, what they mean is that if you enjoy something as a hobby, be cautious about making it your study or your job, some things are only nice when they're in small doses and for fun
Original post by CatInTheCorner
this thread is two years old so please don't bump it, what they mean is that if you enjoy something as a hobby, be cautious about making it your study or your job, some things are only nice when they're in small doses and for fun

I want to understand why people are frustrated with bumping posts
Original post by YEezzy
I want to understand why people are frustrated with bumping posts

I think because the OP ( original poster ) gains nothing from it, since their question was so old and likely not relevant now, and since questions can be better answered if you make your own post :smile:

Latest