novemberstorm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I adore English and reading but currently I cannot stand my exams. I feel so locked in to answering questions the 'right way' to get the right marks that I feel like I can't actually write! There are so many assessment objectives to work around- it feels like i have to think deeply whilst also not thinking at the same time?
Is anyone else struggling with this? I'm in my last year of school and am desperately hoping this will get better with Uni
PHOEN7X
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My personal problem was writing about context, because I hardly wrote about it. But, I would say, just write the essay, include a range of quotes and just talk about them quotes. Those AO's just make stuff seem technical. Give your own oppinions (by basically getting a real fact about that quote and saying its your opinion) and link it so another quote or something else. Also, just learn a few technical words and put those in wherever.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by novemberstorm)
So I adore English and reading but currently I cannot stand my exams. I feel so locked in to answering questions the 'right way' to get the right marks that I feel like I can't actually write! There are so many assessment objectives to work around- it feels like i have to think deeply whilst also not thinking at the same time?
Is anyone else struggling with this? I'm in my last year of school and am desperately hoping this will get better with Uni
There's so such thing as assessment objectives at uni. Obviously there's descriptors detailing what you need to get a certain grade - but it's bog-standard.

Uni is more creative and more open and suggestive. You can focus on context, thematic links, genre, etc. You don't have to consider language and sentence structure when arguing about post-colonial theory and racism in Dracula.

It's great! I hated A2 English Lit but uni made me enjoy studying literature again!
novemberstorm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
There's so such thing as assessment objectives at uni. Obviously there's descriptors detailing what you need to get a certain grade - but it's bog-standard.

Uni is more creative and more open and suggestive. You can focus on context, thematic links, genre, etc. You don't have to consider language and sentence structure when arguing about post-colonial theory and racism in Dracula.

It's great! I hated A2 English Lit but uni made me enjoy studying literature again!
This is actually super calming, thank you. Just gotta get through one more year I suppose!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (241)
60.86%
No (81)
20.45%
Not sure (74)
18.69%

Watched Threads