username5008580
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to study Computer Science at a top uni so for my A Levels, I'm going to do Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics. My question is how does Physics A-Level facilitate learning Computer Science at uni?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's probably more implicit than the others, as fundamentally computers are physical machines that obey the laws of physics. However most CS courses don't delve much if at all into the electronics underpinning computers. It is useful in terms of transferable skills as you will be spending the A-level Physics course applying mathematics to solve problems, which is a relevant skill that you will probably use in most CS degrees.

Blue_Cow may be able to offer some more insight into how relevant (or irrelevant) A-level Physics is to a CS degree
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AnonymousGuest)
I want to study Computer Science at a top uni so for my A Levels, I'm going to do Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics. My question is how does Physics A-Level facilitate learning Computer Science at uni?
A-level Physics is far too broad to be specifically useful to a CS degree.

It's a fantastic A-level, but don't take it because you think it will benefit you when you start uni.
Plasma_Blitz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At most it'd probably go into circuits which might be useful(?) but apart from that I don't really see how it can help, maybe apart from transferable skills which were mentioned.
username5008580
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
A-level Physics is far too broad to be specifically useful to a CS degree.

It's a fantastic A-level, but don't take it because you think it will benefit you when you start uni.
Besides Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths, which A-Level for my 4th option would be the best to facilitate learning Computer Science at uni if not physics?
MathYani
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Besides Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths, which A-Level for my 4th option would be the best to facilitate learning Computer Science at uni if not physics?
Top universities for Computer Science just want Maths and Further Maths. Computer Science at Degree Level itself is very different to Maths and Physics, and even Computer A-level. From what I've heard, Cambridge might do some 'physics' related stuff with building components and circuits. Personally the best 4 A-level you can take for CompSci is Maths, Further, Physics and CompSci. Then drop CompSci or Physics at AS level.
Last edited by MathYani; 1 year ago
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should be less concerned with choosing a subject that will "best facilitate learning CompSci at uni". You already have the 3 best subjects chosen, and your 4th option should be something you enjoy.

You can't really prepare for a CompSci degree during your usual A-level studies that much. The degree is always taught from scratch anyway....
username5008580
Rep:
?
I think you should be less concerned with choosing a subject that will "best facilitate learning CompSci at uni". You already have the 3 best subjects chosen, and your 4th option should be something you enjoy.

You can't really prepare for a CompSci degree during your usual A-level studies that much. The degree is always taught from scratch anyway....
Doesn't Imperial have Physics as a highly-recommended subject?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doesn't Imperial have Physics as a highly-recommended subject?
A university can have any subject as highly recommended, if it's not in the core requirements then it isn't necessary.

I don't know about Imperial, I don't study there, I study at Edinburgh.
Evitov
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I go to Southampton for Computer Science, whilst I am in the first year the most usage i've gotten out of it so far is in the systems module with oscilloscopes and circuit stuff. Although Physics is just a well respected a level if that makes sense and is seen as a "hard subject".
CandyCanes585
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
A university can have any subject as highly recommended, if it's not in the core requirements then it isn't necessary.

I don't know about Imperial, I don't study there, I study at Edinburgh.
What subjects did you do at A level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (621)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads