Monsoon seasons Watch

mfm89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Planning my gap year, rough idea is London-Aus-New Zealand-Thailand-India. Leave around march/april 09.

Only problem is SE asia and India. Is it a wise idea to travel these countries in Monsoon season?
India: june/july-oct. Thailand: july-nov
which is really the only time I've got spare unless i go there before Australia. I'd prefer to start my travelling in Aus, as i've been their before and i imagine its a fair bit easier for the inexperienced traveller.

Anyone experienced monsoon season in India or Thailand?

All advice welcome, if anyones done a similar route as me, would be great for any tips.
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
India is still fine in the monsoon season. It can rain like crazy a lot of the time but your days will still be generally free and you'll have lots of time to do stuff. It wont be like being stuck inside on a wet november afternoon here where it's constantly showering all afternoon. Life still goes on, railways still run, electricity is still available (as much as the rest of the year - generally) etc. It's not like you'll be stuck in a hotel room all day long. If you're worried have a look at a cnn/bbc world weather report on the region and see what it's like! But I goto India every year in the [british] summer and generally find it ok
mfm89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Whereabouts do you go?
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Inland south mainly. Climate does vary across the country but you can be expecting temperatures around 28-35 roughly over the country. Places like Madras will be naturally more humid. Not going to pretend it's always going to be fine - see the Bombay rains from 2005 as an example of that but it's an experience in itself and if you're flexible in your planning won't stop you having a good time. It's definitley not the most ideal time to goto India but if it's a choice of going in monsoon or not going at all I'd definitley suggest you do the former.
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i've just got back from the indian ocean and it's monsoon season and it was fine. it mainly rains overnight then it's sunny again and you can barely tell it ever happened. even in the daytimes you just get heavy showers then they vanish.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd go there before Aus, and miss the monsoon season. SEA is pretty grim at that time, it rains a lot. Large parts of Bangkok are often flooded, and the roads are a mess - I'm surprised this isn't the case in India but I've never been, I guess it depends which parts you go to in India. Traveling in Thailand is a breeze, so if you can start there great, India is a little more tricky I hear. Unfortunately if your on RTW you'll have to do India first. I'd go for it, whatever happens it won't be that difficult, just watch out for the food in India.

Just looked on BBC and in India it totally depends on the area your going. In Madras, monsoon is Oct to Nov, in Delhi its June to Sept. I would definately try to get to Thailand in the spring (Jan-March), when the temperatures are coolest, and there is the least amount of rain. I was last there in Dec/Jan/Feb and didn't get any rain for over a month, just bright sun. For India as I said it depends where your going. I'd defo plan around monsoons rather than which country is easy though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
48.15%
No - but I will (1)
1.85%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (26)
48.15%

Watched Threads